1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: A second hard drive ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Illuminaughty, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty Thread Starter

I have an HP a1100y that I've been Frankenstein-ing for a while now with parts from a few other HP corpses. I put in a 230g drive, added a second DVD burner, 2gs RAM, BIOS updates, drivers and all that other stuff - it runs pretty quick now. I've been teaching myself all of this stuff over the last couple of months and am kind of a dinosaur, so please bear with me.

I want to slave another 120g drive from an HP 873n that was killed (I'm told) by a virus. I'm thinking that if I use the secondary IDE and scan it for bugs I might be safe. no?

This drive has some valuable data and I wouldn't mind the extra room (I have a ton of .AVI, MP4, etc.)

Here's the thing:

My primary drive is wired with red ATA straight to the mobo.

My disc-drives are on the ribbon - master & slaved so that's all of that IDE.

BUT, there IS another IDE slot (got plenty of spare ribbon) AND there's another ATA slot on the mobo (just need the cable I guess).

What do ya think?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the drive is ide, connect it to the unused ide connector jumpered as master. Restart the system and enter the bios. Make sure your system drive still shows as the boot drive. Some boards will default to an ide drive as the boot drive when you connect an ide drive.

Once the system boots, scan the drive with your AV software. Hopefully you have a good AV like nod32, avast, or even avg.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  4. Illuminaughty

Crj: Thanks, that's about what I was thinking/hoping. I actually use Avira AntiVir but think I might grab another just for this.

Noyb: I've considered this, but I already have a LOT of peripherals and still have a couple of docks left in the tower.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do not have more than one AV app installed at the same time; they can and often do conflict with each other.

6. Flags

Flags

And, if you have not already done so, your next upgrade will be a new PSU.

7. Illuminaughty

The PSU, is that manditory? or a recomedation?:eek:

8. Flags

Flags

Ill: What I was saying is that you're adding so many devices, your PSU may not be powerful enough to supply the needed voltages.
    OEM"s equip their computers with a PSU that is barely above minumum to run the computer as shipped. When you start adding devices, you upset that balance.

9. mowersman

mowersman

what are the specs of the machine

10. Illuminaughty

System Model: PY194AV-ABA a1100y
    BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. 3.05
    Version: x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
    Speed: 2797 MHz (Celeron D 2.80)
    Total phys: 2,048 MB
    Video Card : Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/GL, 82910GL Integrated Graphics Device
    Hard Disk : Maxtor (251 GB)
    Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (120 GB)
    DVD-Rom Drives : HP DVD Writer 200j X 2
    Network Card : Intel Corporation 82562EZ PRO/100 Ethernet Controller
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
    DirectX : Version 9.0c

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    The strongest PSU I've seen in an HP is 350 watts.
    Yours may be less than that ... You'll have to look at the side of the supply.
    HP doesn't say what your a1100y has
    I see that you're not spending too much in a graphics card.

I'm running two internal drives and a stronger video card on 350 watts ...
    and it's making me nervous.

12. Illuminaughty

Turns out the second (120g) drive was all but goo. I was able to salvage the mp3 and pics, then just backed up my Maxtor (250g) and pulled it.

Thanks for all of your help guys!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice