1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: A Security Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Security' started by sticks&stones, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sticks&stones

sticks&stones Thread Starter

I just moved from dial-up to broadband !! Yippee !!

In the process of learning about NAT routers and port forwarding I became (re)acquainted with S-E-C-U-R-I-T-Y !!!!

I got a little spooked.

So I have just bought a new harddrive and with a fresh install of XP Pro I intend to practice "good" security.

My dilemma.

What of my old drives and their data???

I had one drive with 2 partions C: (XP install and apps, P2P ect) and F: (game installs and some movies)

And another drive with 2 partions G: (photos, mp3, PDF and other stuff) and I: (zips and apps and utilities)

I also transfered all the stuff I really wanted (mainly digital media) to an external drive via USB.

I know there are no absolutes when dealing with security -BUT- what is the best way to ensure that my old, possibly compromised but valuable data can live on my new "secure" drive?

My old security practice.......

While on dial-up I used XP Pro /SP2 and ZoneAlarm Firewall (free), SpyBot S&D, AVG Antivirus and had RootkitRevealer and HijackThis logs checked out. I always used (fairly) strong passwords.....BUT.....i was pretty relaxed about windows updates and browsing with scripting....java and activeX , enabled.

I never had any obvious problems but things where..........I dunno....weird. I figured that my XP install was just getting a little long in the tooth.

Any ideas on how I can safely use my old data?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not sure I understand the question. Why can't you use your old data the same way you use your new? I'm missing something here. If the data has been transferred, why not erase the old drives?

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you mean that your old apps were cracked versions, I would suggest you find freebie versions that have similar functionality. Applications you get with P2P are mostly risky.

Data files like movies, pictures, documents and spreadsheets are problably safe. Scan them several times with all the online antivirus scanners. ( see sticky in this forum )

4. sticks&stones

Thanks for your prompt reply........

Elvandil : My questions is "what is the best way to ensure that my old, possibly compromised but valuable data can live on my new "secure" drive?" or how can i check that my old data isn't infected with some nasty stuff without compromising the safety of my new "clean" drive.

wk2000 : Thanks for the advice.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Scanning your old drive with AV and antispyware from the new system is plenty safe enough. Nothing can just "jump the gap" --it has to be brought over somehow, either by a executable running or your manually moving something. A scan will be safe if done right away..

6. sticks&stones

Thanks for the good advice, Elvandil. I guess I must be getting a little paranoid. I will do a scan of the drives in an external caddy via USB.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice