1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: a248.e.akamai.net

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by RonInNYC, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RonInNYC

RonInNYC Thread Starter

This is the third time this has happened. Seems just when I try to go to Facebook.com (yeah, I know!). Chrome stops me with the warning and the IP address isn't that for facebook. On my laptop I get to Facebook ok and the IP address there is 69.171.223.13. BUT on the desktop (same router), the IP address is 24,143.201.211. Both use Win 7. Router is Linksys wrt310n.

Ron

Found another forum where this problem was noted; someone said that Linksys routers can get "dns poisoning" and that rebooting the router will solve the problem. It seems to have done just that.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try clearing Google Chrome's cookies and history.

If no luck,

Click Start > Programs > Accessories > right-click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the Command Prompt, type: ipconfig /flushdns

Press Enter.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

4. Phantom010

Well, if the problem is indeed solved, which wasn't that clear in the first place (It seems to have done just that?), then click on [​IMG].

5. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

If not, try Phantom's solution first. If that doesn't work, we might have to look at a possible hijack case. I wouldn't expect this to be a router poisoning attack if the other machine on the same network gets through just fine.

6. Phantom010

However, Akamai is legit. It's a fast caching solution for websites which have a great number of hits, like Facebook, Microsoft and Yahoo. It's using HTTPS (SSL).

7. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

Ah, I didn't realize that. Thank you for the correction Phantom.

8. RonInNYC

RonInNYC Thread Starter

This happened again today and again I used ipconfig /flushdns and that worked great with no down time. BUT, any way to find out what site is poisoning my dns cache?

Ron

9. RonInNYC

RonInNYC Thread Starter

Phantom010: So, in that case, using Akamai is probably not due to something malicious. But then, why does Chrome object? Is this a problem with Chrome, detecting Akamai and deciding it is malicious when it's not?

10. Phantom010

I don't think Chrome can't differentiate Akamai from a malicious website in that warning. It's simply detecting a different IP address instead of the one you should normally be getting for Facebook. But why you are having the issue is beyond me. :(

11. RonInNYC

RonInNYC Thread Starter

I'm not sure I'm having an issue besides Chrome's colorful warning. Of course, I'm nervous about clicking on the link, coward that I am.

12. Phantom010

The security settings inside Chrome on that particular computer might be configured differently than the ones on the computers not giving you the warning messages. Try comparing them.

How to Configure Chrome Security Settings

13. RonInNYC

RonInNYC Thread Starter

Thanks. This helps.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031923