1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Aborting Recovery Disc Creation

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by meviin, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. meviin

meviin Thread Starter

I just got Vista OEM installed on a hp dv6000t laptop.

I thought it might be a good idea to create a set of recovery discs which, to my understanding, would basically be like an OS install disc set (my laptop didn't come with a copy of windows on a disc, excluding my hard disk). However, when I discovered that it would take 10 cds (no dvd burner) I discovered that I didn't actually have enough cds to continue with the operation.

When I canceled, it said that I would be able to resume from where I left off meaning that the ~6 gig it took to create the image for the discs is eating up space.

Does anyone know how to find/remove this large recovery image file? Is there even a large file or am I just an e-hypochondriac?

Thanks for your time
    -Sam

2. Orumph

Orumph

If you do not continue the recovery you will lose the ability to install the OS again, unless you contact HP for the discs and a modest fee ofcourse.

The backup that you are creating is located on a hidden partition of the hard drive. it will usually be about 30M +/- . Once the discs are created or you get a copy, you can then blow away that partition and recover the lost space.

3. meviin

meviin Thread Starter

thanks

4. Orumph

Orumph

Actually, I did find a way to reset the ability to install the OS disks starting from disk 1.

But, I did not document it.

There is a file located somewhere, possibly the root of C: or in Windows directory, again I can't remember where or the name. that if you change the number to 0 or 1 it will start off from the beginning again. I believe it was a file or directory that said HP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/583332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice