1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Access 2003 date() expression problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by eireguy, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eireguy

eireguy Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I wonder if someone can help with the following ? I had an Access '97 database working for a number of years with no difficulty. Now, just to do a cleanup, I formatted a new C drive, installed XP Pro w/SP2, installed Access '03 and copied the database to the new drive. Everything works except for the date() expression in a text box in form view, I can't get it to display the current date. I have tried adding a new box and using expression builder to set it up to display the date, but no joy. When I return to form view from design view, the box shows "#name?". There are no calculations or macros associated with the box, all I want it to do is show the date ! Any help would be much appreciated, thanks, John.

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

A case like that usually means it is looking for a source that it can't find, as you obviously seem to know. I would try again by deleting the source and then just enter
    =Date()
    once again.
    I assume the rest of the form looks good - oh, and make sure there are no boxes hidden behind your date() box that could be missing their source and are visible.

3. eireguy

eireguy Thread Starter

Hi Slurpee 55,

Many thanks for your quick reply, I'm afraid it still won't work. I have also tried to use the "insert" option to simply drop a new text box into the form showing the date, but I still get the same "#name?" message. It's as if the database can't "see" the PC clock for some reason. But thanks again for your suggestion, regards, John.

4. OBP

OBP

John, it sounds like you have placed the Date() in the Record Source instead of in the Default Value.

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

Both work, Tony....however, in the default value you can enter just Date(), in the Record Source you must enter =Date()
    I had assumed eireguy just had not written the "=" portion of what he entered.

6. OBP

OBP

But that doesn't "Save" the data to the Table's Record, it only displays it on the Form. :)

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

Yep, I know, OBP, but based on this
    I didn't think it would matter.... :rolleyes:

8. draceplace

draceplace

I hope it this simple. the correct syntax for control sourse property is "=now()"

--sorry didn't refresh and see slurpee and ODP post

9. eireguy

eireguy Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Just to go over once again what's happening, I have tried all the syntax in all the fields I can think of, and an error message is returned everytime. If it's any clue, I created a new blank database in Access 03 with just one text box on a form. I then used expression builder to show date using "=date()" in the control source box. No problem, the form shows the current date. Exactly the same procedure in my original database returns an error. Remember, the only difference is that my base was created in Access 97 and is now transferred to Access 03. This is the only function that won't work, otherwise it performs just fine. I suppose you might say do I REALLY need a date field that badly ! Still, I'd love to get to the bottom of it.............once again, thanks for all your time, regards, John.

10. OBP

OBP

John, logic would say that during conversion the Form has been corrupted somehow.
    Now that it is in 2003 can you delete the problem field and replace it with one that works?
    Can you import the form in to your new 2003 database where the Date() does work to see if it works ok in that?

11. eireguy

eireguy Thread Starter

Hi OBP,

Just before I read your last suggestion, I tried the following. Instead of putting "=Date()" in the text box, I tried "=Now()" to see if that would make a difference. Guess what ? It worked, just showing the current date, as I wanted. Only thing is, I thought "Now" returned date AND time..........I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm where I want to be, maybe if it ain't broke etc is the order of the day here. After your last post I did try deleteing the text box and putting in a new one, but still got the same error message.

12. OBP

OBP

If the Field is formatted to just show the the date then Now() will only show as a Date, but be stored as date & time.

13. eireguy

eireguy Thread Starter

Thanks for the effort, everyone, all working well now. regards from Ireland, John.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice