1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Access 2007 - Best Method?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Dana557, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dana557

Dana557 Thread Starter

I am creating a database from scratch as the database I inherited has more problems than are necessary and everything became a work-around when it should have been simple. It is a time tracker database and I receive daily timesheets (~200) which I plan on using VB to pull into Access 2007.

My question is this: The major problem I see is in the import to fields in the current database in the date field. Some of the employees are not in the USA and they often place their date farmat in the European manner rather than the mm/dd/yyyy which is asked.

Is this something that I should address in the import code or on the Excel side. (I have been trying to place a calendar select in the Excel file and will try it harder if that is the recommended methods!) The Excel file has tons of field parameters and code that will caution the user when completing the timesheet.

Thank you!!

2. spatha

spatha

I think verifying the date on the excel side would be the most effective. You could try to create a macro or query criteria that would identify dates in a dd/mm/yyyy format and change them, but I can't think of a way to do this reliably.

3. Dana557

Dana557 Thread Starter

I have tried again this PM to put a pop-up calendar in the Excel and while it works in a separate/new excel sheet, the problem is only in the specific sheet used. I am guessing in the code. I have attached a word doc of the code. Is that what is interfereing with adding the calendar and is there a way around it that you can thing of?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

4. spatha

spatha

I don't see anything in your code that might interfere with anything else, but there's no way to know without knowing exactly what kind of calendar pop-up you're trying to use.

Might I suggest a simpler solution? Split the date into three separate cells. You could even use dropdowns. One with options 1-31 for day, January(1)-December(12) for month and then however many year options you think are appropriate. Then have a fourth cell that calculates the date based on those selections.

5. Dana557

Dana557 Thread Starter

Just to let you know what I did before closing this thread. I managed to redo the entire excel sheet with a VB calendar (instead of the pop-up given) and that allowed me to finally not only protect the sheet, but to run the import script to Access.

Still would love to know, but onward! :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice