1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Access 2007 - file 2x bigger than 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Peacock, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peacock

Peacock Thread Starter

I began a database in Access 2003 a few years ago. Two days ago, the file size was about 500k. Then our IT staff upgraded our machines to Office 2007 and I began using my database in Access 2007. In the last two days my file has doubled in size. I have only added one new query which has an output of 5 fields for 450 records.

Has anyone else had this experience with Access 2007? How much more can I expect the file to grow?

Thanks,
    Lisa

2. DJh6064

DJh6064

The file size in Access 2007 should be smaller, but only if you convert the database to the 2007 version of Access. Just opening the 2003 database in access 2007 does not allow you to use some of the new features available in Access 2007, like smaller file sizes.

3. foxydude

foxydude

First thing is to go to Compact and Repair in Access Options . Whenever you use access database and delete entries , the entries are removed however the allocated space for the deleted item remains. To correct this use Compact and Repair when closing a database this also helps prevent corruption. OrbButton>AccessOptions>CurrentDatabase>CompactOnClose.

Secondly Office 2007 will use more disk space and memory as it is now able to handle larger files. When opening 2007 needs to create larger indexes to accomodate this capacity.

4. Peacock

Peacock Thread Starter

Thank you! I have been running compact and repair and it has kept the file size stable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/825112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice