1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Access 2007 problem printing report

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by 120417jhj, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 120417jhj

120417jhj Thread Starter

I have spent all day fiddling with this and getting nowhere. I have a report in Access 2007. It's very simple - just orders placed which I want to send to be printed as a PDF. On screen in the report view it all looks perfect, with orders which involve more than one item showing as they should. However, when I send it to the print preview the detail section disappears and is split across 8 or sometimes 9 pages. I had it working fine (briefly) and then had a go at including a field to total the costs of multiple orders and it's all gone to hell in a handcart since then. I've got the detail section and the controls within set to 'keep together' but nothing so far seems to make any difference. I'd be grateful for simple help as I'm a novice when in comes to coding. Thanks in advance.

Info re my computer:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 2986 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 750003 MB, Free - 519898 MB; D: Total - 197870 MB, Free - 152844 MB; X: Total - 114442 MB, Free - 18524 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8H67-M
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Sponsor

3. cplmckenzie

cplmckenzie

I feel your pain, but without being able to see how your forms and report layout design looks it could be any number of things causing the printing problems

4. 120417jhj

120417jhj Thread Starter

I'm afraid the screenshots I've done exceed the size limit so I can't upload them. Basically, what I see on screen in the Detail part of the report in Report view shows my order items but this whole section disappears from sight when I switch to print preview.

5. 120417jhj

120417jhj Thread Starter

Can no-one help me with this problem? I'm sure it's something simple but I just can't see it - please have a look and make some suggestions -I'd be very grateful

6. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

I can't hep with Access 2007 issues, but may be able to help based on older versions of Access.
    First of all ensure that the detail section width does not exceed the Page width (including margins).
    Do you get the same problem when you are printing to a normal printer and not using PDF?

7. 120417jhj

120417jhj Thread Starter

Thanks OBP for the thought - I used to do a lot in Access 2000 and so I know it can be very temperamental about page width. I've pulled all the objects/controls in to well less than the page width just to try it and it makes no difference. Yet it is splitting the detail section across 9 pages...hmm. Also, it prints exactly the same regardless of whether I send to printer or PDF. I'm glad you don't give up easily.. I've given this about 12 hours so far, to no avail!! JHJ

8. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Can it be saves as Access 2003 format?

9. 120417jhj

120417jhj Thread Starter

Yes - I've just saved a copy in 2002-2003 but it makes no difference - the detail section still splits across 9 pages.

JHJ

10. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Can you remove any sensitive data in the 2003 version and then post a Zipped copy on here for me to look at?

11. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Are you using A4 or Letter size paper?

12. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

For me the whole report is too long and I get an error message saying so.
    If I reduce the height by removing the Logo from the header and reduce the size of the Heading I can get it print and it only prints on one page.
    However it only has 2 records in the Detail section, £3450 and £60, obviously if you had even one more it would no longer fit on the page and would put the next detail on the next page.

13. 120417jhj

120417jhj Thread Starter

Hello - I'm using A4.

SHould have pointed out it's a test version - hence silly text!

14. 120417jhj

120417jhj Thread Starter

Thanks - I don't get the error message and it appears to fit OK lengthwise but I'll try taking off the T&Cs and shrink it up somewhat and get back to you. JHJ

15. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Do you want to see my copy?

16. 120417jhj

120417jhj Thread Starter

Hello - this has provided some relief! Fits on one page but now there is a band between the bottom of the detail and the start of the footer (T&Cs) Can't believe it's linked to page length - I've been fixated on page width as I did get some error messages about this. Grrrrr

Should also say that the garish colours are only there to let me observe more effectively which bits are appearing on the 9 pages in the Print Preview view!!

Thanks for help thus far - I'll continue to fiddle.

JHJ

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1049747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice