1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Access 2007 - Split DB Across Company Network

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Steve060431, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steve060431

Steve060431 Thread Starter

Well, I've split my Access DB and it turns out that I am a little disappointed in the speed between the Front End and the Back End over my company's network. I was under the impression that a DB set up this way would be more efficient to use.
    The Back End is in a shared folder in Philadelphia, I am in Chicago, and the location farthest from the server is in Seattle. How do I improve the response time of the DB across our network?

I know the closer the back end is to my physical location the faster I am able to run reports and navigate through the DB. I've been testing this all evening and night, but even in the middle of the night the application portion is still very sluggish and that's with no one on the network.
    Back End:
    On my desktop = Extremely Fast
    On our Local Server = Moderatley Fast
    Farther than the Local Server = Very Slow

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

2. draceplace

draceplace

Steve,
    There's a lot more to speeding up an access database than splitting into FE and BE. One important thing if this is a WAN then Access is not a good answer. WANS are 100 times slower than LAN.

There are lots of ways to make access better accross a network.
    1. move static tables to the FE.
    2. make sure all forms are query based (not table). Bring only necessary data to the Forms.
    3. Index important data. DO NOT over index.

If you google "slow access database over network" there are tons of tips on how to make it better.

One solution may be that you place a BE at each site and develop a process to perodically consolidate the data. I also recommend that you 'Version' the FEs. As you develop\enhance\repair and more people start using the thing its hard to track who is using the latest and greatest release. I would also incorporate a way to 'lock users' out of the database so you can perform maintence.

Any platform accross a network is major undertaking. We have 100 users on one BE. Its on a local server and to maintain we often remote to a local workstation in order to get reasonable response time.

3. Steve060431

Steve060431 Thread Starter

Thanks Dan,
    I appreciate the info -- I think I will go with the consolidated route. I'd like users to be able to get in and out quickly, and with our network I don't think that will be a possibility. Again, thank you and have a great weekend.

4. draceplace

draceplace

Good Luck Steve, those darn users alway complaining about 'speed' but once you get it humming not one Thank you!

Let me know if you have other questions. Seriously, Version the FE and add the user 'lock out'. It will be big deal if you get a lot of people on this thing.

5. credible58

credible58

Hi Steve,

A slightly different approach is run the Front End application in a Windows Terminal Server or Citrix XenApp server located in Philadelphia, and then have the users access this using MS Terminal Service Client or a Citrix Receiver (client). That way all file access is local.

Best regards...Paul

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice