1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Access 2007 - Write Conflict

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Access07, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Access07

Access07 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have written a pretty elaborate program over the years using Access 2003 ADP. For the last several months I have been upgrading it and converting it to Access 2007 accdb as a front end to a SQL 2000 database residing on a server. The issue that is now stumping me is the write conflict error that seems to occur randomly.

For instance, I have two tables for storing project information. One is for contract projects and the other is non-contract projects. Most of the fields in both tables are identical, but each table has some unique fields. These have been working for years in the ADP program, and still no issues if I edit them there.

When I create the ODBC links in the accdb and open the table directly I can edit all the fields in one of the tables, but only certain fields in the other table. The fields that will not accept changes are identical in both tables. This occurs with various field data types, varchar, bit, real, etc. I have for years defaults (in the table definition) for all bit and real fields, and other means and methods so there is no chance for NULLs to occur. When the write conflict message comes up, the save record option is greyed out and can only drop the changes. There is no one else currently editing these tables.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

2. OBP

OBP

I have never worked with an SQL server, but I would think the things to look at are, did you copy the tables on to the server from the ADP, if so did they somehow form some undesired relationship?
    Try creating the tables from new and importing the data from the existing tables in to them to see if that makes a difference regarding the Write conflict.
    Do you know what Record locking is set on the SQL tables?

3. Access07

Access07 Thread Starter

The Tables were created on the server in SQL server. The tables are updatable (using enterprise manager and SQL Lite) on the server side and through the access project (ADP). There is no interference by relationships. They only culprit must be Access 2007 accdb to which I am new to. Maybe there is some setting, option, etc. that I am unaware of? I simply created the ODBC link through the ribbon menu. I have done this with dozens of tables and every once in a while this write conflict comes up.

4. Access07

Access07 Thread Starter

I have discovered the problem. I went through every record and one bit field was NULL. I do not know how this happens but from time to time defaulted fields do not insert the default value when the record is created.
    Thanks a lot for your time.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice