1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Access 2010 / Access 2003 Issue

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by WT1059, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WT1059

WT1059 Thread Starter

Hi,
    My company was using Office 2003 until 4 months ago when they moved to Office 2010. When they install Office 2010 Office 2003 was left on the machines so that we currently have both versions installed. I have developed and deployed several databases since Go Live, all in Access 2010, and all was going fine until Office 2003 was uninstalled from several machines and when they tried to open the database they got:

"Execution of this application has stopped due to a run-time error.
    The application can’t continue and will be shut down."

I went all thought the code and couldn't find anything so on a whim our IT guy, the one that had removed Office 2003 reinstalled it and BAM, working again.

I have no clue as to what is going on here, Shared DLL, a Reference that's 2003, nothing. i need any thoughts as to where to look and what it might possibly be.

Thanks!

2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

When you uninstalled Access 2003 did you re-install or repair Access 2010, Office overwrites certain dll files so that the one in current use has control, if you then uninstall it the dll files do not necessarily return control to 2010, hence re-installing 2003 also re-installed the dll files.
    Normally you can't run both versions of Access at the same time due to this problem.

3. WT1059

WT1059 Thread Starter

Removed both and reinstalled Office 2010 and is now working fine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063717