1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Access 2010 Table Relationship Question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by xiiro, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xiiro

xiiro Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a question about relating tables. I am very new to Access and databases in general, so please forgive me if this has an easy fix.

I regularly import data from an excel sheet, in order to populate my DB. That data is arranged to list service types under a category named "ItemName", but I would like to make a "Services" Table which associates each of those items to a "ServiceID".

example:
    Current table structure
    ID ItemName
    1 Cut
    2 Cut
    3 Massage
    4 Cut
    5 Manicure
    6 Facial
    7 Facial

Trying to relate the above data to a table like the one below. So when the above table says "Massage", Access knows the value of "Massage"="5" in "tblServices"

tblServices
    ID ServiceName
    1 Cut
    2 Color
    3 Shave
    4 Manicure
    5 Massage
    6 Wax
    7 Facial

I have tried making a Services table with a "ServiceID" and relating the "ServiceName" to the "ItemName" in the original table. I just can't seem to get Access to recognize that the items in the "ItemName" field of my original table, are the same as the "ServiceName" field in my Services Table. I did a lot of searching for "retroactive IDs" and "Many-to-one relationships", but google and youtube mostly return confusing results.

I would be forever appreciative to anyone who could shed light on this. I have been slowly chipping away at this DB for a week and a half and am starting to dream in database lol.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my question.

=)

2. xiiro

xiiro Thread Starter

Never mind, I solved the issue.

Because the names of the services are unique, I made "ServiceName" my primary key. All better.

Have a good night. =)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice