1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ACCESS 2012 Record Locking

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by SlowHnds, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SlowHnds

SlowHnds Thread Starter

I have a data base which tracks files/records in and out, it had been working fine until last Friday Jan 13 (Figures right)

Any way when I opened the data base it was fine. I open my main form to enter a file request and got

Microsoft Access has stopped working

Windows can try to recover your information and restart the program

-> restart The program

Nothing. When I went to the database location on the network there were several files that shouldn't have been there. Copies of the Data Base itself and a file named Records.laccdb I have had no luck getting this data base back to working.

I put the data base on on a memory stick and took it home figuring to work on it over the weekend.

Low and behold it worked fine directly from the memory stick. So what gives I figured.

Got to work yesterday. I moved the data base out of the location and copied from the flash drive. No go. Still dies.

Tried coping the database to a folder on Drive C: thinking it is a network issue. Still fails.

But it runs fine from the thumb drive.

Anyone have any clue how I can get this thing back to working.

2. OBP

OBP

I would create a new database on the c drive or the network drive and create something simple in it like a table or form.
    Providing it works OK I would then Import the Objects in to the new database from the database on your flash drive.
    If it still crashes I would repeat the exercise as often as necessary to establish what is causing the proble.
    ie
    Import all the tables, if it crashes start again and import them 1 at a time until you find which table is the problem.
    Do the same with queries, forms reports and macros.

3. SlowHnds

SlowHnds Thread Starter

I can access the data in the tables.

I can add new data to the tables, and I can edit data. The Glitch seems to come in when I use the main form.

I don't know that I can rebuild the form or not. It's been so long since I built the data base I'm not sure how and why I did some things. If I know why it's happening on hard drives but NOT on the memory stick I wouldn't be beyond vexed.

4. SlowHnds

SlowHnds Thread Starter

Stranger and stranger. I renamed the folder to HOLD DAMAGED. I created a new folder Records NEW and copied the database from the thumb drive to the folder. Works on drive C: and all network drives. But the original database in HOLD DAMAGED won't work anywhere if I try to use the form.

So I thought I'd take a stab at recreating the form. So far it works. However I've come upon something I don't recall how to do.

The field ServId is an autonumber field primary key. I found when I had to compact and repair this that the numbering changed. So I wanted a field RequestId which was not an autonumber field but would take the number from the autonumber field ServId.

I don't recall how I accomplished this. I don't see anything in the form field properties. So how did I manage it any clues?

5. SlowHnds

SlowHnds Thread Starter

As long as I keep the new name it keeps working if I revert to the old name and folder location name it fails every time.

Mark it solved but it's not really.

6. draceplace

draceplace

Don't know if this applies but I have experienced simular issues with access dbs and FEs on 'virtual' C drives and other virtual drives that require the network 'sync' process. Once db\FE is move to some place not involved in the 'Sync' process it behaves correctly (if it hasn't corrupted). It happened maybe 50 times out of 1000 opportunities and as best I can tell its only Access that gets bit by this.

A couple of times I worked with some network admins and when they veiw the offending drive the DB is there and intact but its not the same one the user is trying to use. I have them restore the most current one to a new folder then have the user move it to 'stable storage' area. I can't get network admins to trouble shoot their crappy set up so since it happens infrequently I deal with it on a case by case basis.

7. SlowHnds

SlowHnds Thread Starter

you could be correct in that it's due to issues outside the computer itself, ie network storage and how the IT crew indentify drives in the domain and subsets/subnet.

H Drive really is just name given to a bunch of hard drives in a building somewhere else. In that it's not "real" as in being a single piece of hardware. H drive can and does change & move, IT just changes the pointers to it. I don't think Access does a good job of handling being stored on a network either, or maybe it's because I don't know enough about access to optimize it or use it properly.

I no longer even try to compress or backup over the network. I'll pull a copy off the network and work off of my C:\USERNAME\ACCESSDATABASES\DATABASENAME\******************.accdb

The other thing is I now create copies that I keep on my hard drive on my desktop computer morning and night. It's wasting resources but it's a lot easier than trying to regrow nerve endings or hair that's been pulled out by the roots.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice