1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(solved) Access: Database won't work right on another PC.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hottesttotty, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hottesttotty

hottesttotty Thread Starter

I just created an access database app. for a client, and used a calendar at the top of two forms. When I took it to them, and downloaded to their computer, the calendars do not display properly (ie: AT ALL!!) What could be causing this? Is there something messed up with their program, or a setting that isn't right, or what?? I know it's not the app., cuz I've used it on 5 different computers, and it works just fine, except on THEIRS....which is what counts!! I used Access 2000 to create it, and that's what's on their machine, so it SHOULD have worked like a charm....or so I thought!!

Any suggestions?

TIA

TT :)

2. TechChick

TechChick

Did you create the Access database using the same version of Access that they have?

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi hottesttotty.

Perhaps your client did not do a complete install of Access? What they must have for the ActiveX calendar control is a file called mscal.ocx, and I'm sure they must have the correct version of it. YOU obviously have it. Check that client's hard drive for it. I found my mscal.ocx (Access 2000 default install location) under C:\program files\microsoft office\office. So that's where you should find yours. You'll probably want to *reinstall* Office on the client's PC, however, and make sure you choose all the ActiveX controls, etc. (I choose everything usually, just to be sure, 'cept maybe the office assistant.) The default install of Office 2000 *may* not include all the extra stuff and I don't think it does.

Hope this helps!

4. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Yes, Dreamy's on the right track, tho I think the default installation of Access usually does include the basic ActiveX controls.

Just one thing to add: it may be that the file is on the machine, but not registered in MS Access. If you find the file in question on the client machine, open the mdb file and get to the database window. Choose Tools > Active X Controls..., you'll get a little window with a list of all registered controls. I use Access 2k, and in my list appears Calendar Control 9.0. You should see something like that in the list. If you don't, click the Register button, navigate to the location where that file's stored, and it will be added to your list.

(Happy new year, dreamy--glad to see you're still on Top o' Things :p )

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hey, I'm gettin' there, huh, Down?! And a very happy new year to you too!

6. hottesttotty

hottesttotty Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the input....I reinstalled Access, and the file works just like it was supposed to now! Their computers are kind of a mess....they're lacking maintenance big time!! But, at least this is a start!

You guys really are great here!! Thanks again!

TT:)

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    You come on back anytime, hottest. We're happy to help and very proud of our site!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice