1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Access Database

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by computerman29642, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computerman29642

computerman29642 Thread Starter

I am planning/trying to build a database that will track the dates certain classes were taken by users, and if the classes were passed or not.

I am very new at Access Databases so any advice, suggestions, opinions, or help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

2. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Check out the templates that MS has online. There is one that should fit your needs there.

3. computerman29642

Thanks Jim. I will give that a go.

4. computerman29642

The database I am trying to build is based on information in Excel. Is there a way to migrate the Excel workbook into Access.

5. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    "File">>"Get External Data">>"Import."

6. computerman29642

I have started to build the database. It is nothing big, but if it would help I will be more than happy to attach the file. If anything else, maybe someone could let me know if I am heading in the right direction.

7. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Feel free to attach it and I will eyeball it. I will be in and out all day while I work on my "Lunch and Learns."

8. computerman29642

I have attached the database. I really appreciate the help.

Attached Files:

9. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    A couple of things. If you are going to have the students take multiple tests then you will want to separate the students from the tests and link them together in a many-to-many relationship. Since some of those fields are repeated multiple times then you might want to setup lookup or drop-down lists that allow for easier selection and entry of data into those fields.

10. computerman29642

I will play around with the db a little more, and attach it again for viewing.

Thank you for the help and advice. :)

11. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

This is one of the reasons that I do not particularly like "Templates" as they hardly ever do what you actually want them to do.
    This results in you spending more time trying to understand how to modify it than if you built it up from what you think/know you need, (with a little help from your friends on here of course). ;)

12. computerman29642

Hi Tony,

I tried to download a template to modify, but once I started and the template stopped working I realized I was just not knowledgeable enough to do so...LOL!

So, I started to try and build the database from scratch.

13. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Hi, one of the things that you want to do is to write down what you want "Out" of the database, that should lead you to what you will need to put "In" it.
    Then as Jim says it is a case of getting the right data in the right tables with the correct relationships.
    After that it is a case of adding the "frills" like Combos etc.

14. computerman29642

I have users who must get certified in order to run certian tests. Once they have been certified, I would like to place in the db the information regarding the test they are allowed to run, and the date the certification was achieved. Then have a search function to be able to search in different ways.

15. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

I think the best way to learn is for you to do what you think is right and then post it here so that Jim, slurpee, Jimmy and myself can advise what is right/wrong and why.
    That way you get to understand the principles of database design rather than just being given it.
    However, if you just want a quick database and don't mind how it works then we could build it for you.
    So make your mods and Post it again and we will have a look and offer some advice.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/714207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice