Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Access Database

28K views 195 replies 4 participants last post by  OBP 
#1 ·
I am planning/trying to build a database that will track the dates certain classes were taken by users, and if the classes were passed or not.

I am very new at Access Databases so any advice, suggestions, opinions, or help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

#6 ·
I have started to build the database. It is nothing big, but if it would help I will be more than happy to attach the file. If anything else, maybe someone could let me know if I am heading in the right direction.

#9 ·
A couple of things. If you are going to have the students take multiple tests then you will want to separate the students from the tests and link them together in a many-to-many relationship. Since some of those fields are repeated multiple times then you might want to setup lookup or drop-down lists that allow for easier selection and entry of data into those fields.

#11 ·
This is one of the reasons that I do not particularly like "Templates" as they hardly ever do what you actually want them to do.
This results in you spending more time trying to understand how to modify it than if you built it up from what you think/know you need, (with a little help from your friends on here of course). ;)

#12 ·
Hi Tony,

I tried to download a template to modify, but once I started and the template stopped working I realized I was just not knowledgeable enough to do so...LOL!

So, I started to try and build the database from scratch.

#13 ·
Hi, one of the things that you want to do is to write down what you want "Out" of the database, that should lead you to what you will need to put "In" it.
Then as Jim says it is a case of getting the right data in the right tables with the correct relationships.
After that it is a case of adding the "frills" like Combos etc.

#14 ·
I have users who must get certified in order to run certian tests. Once they have been certified, I would like to place in the db the information regarding the test they are allowed to run, and the date the certification was achieved. Then have a search function to be able to search in different ways.

#15 ·
I think the best way to learn is for you to do what you think is right and then post it here so that Jim, slurpee, Jimmy and myself can advise what is right/wrong and why.
That way you get to understand the principles of database design rather than just being given it.
However, if you just want a quick database and don't mind how it works then we could build it for you.
So make your mods and Post it again and we will have a look and offer some advice.

#18 ·
Is the employeeInfo table supposed to be the table that marries the test and employee information in it? I am confused why you have the last table that just has date information in it.

#21 ·
I will make that change. Is there a way to create a form to enter a new record with the data going to different tables? Code will have to be written for that to happen...correct? I could not use a query....correct?

#23 ·
What I am trying to do is create a data entry form. So, once a user has completed a class and is certified, then I would be able to open a form, and fill-in the users name, the parameter, method, matrix, and date.

#26 ·
Your info table is referring to your class information. I would call it tblClasses. This table should have basic class information. You do not want to do multiple records where you will type out the same class name each time, so you will put the class start date and end date within the junction table which joins the students with their classes.

The junction table should have a class start date and end date field as well as a certification date field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.