Solved: Access Denied C: on XP-Vista network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JGBCordova

I have a simple Linksys router wired network with an XP Home and XP Pro computer on the network in my home. Added a Laptop Vista Home Premium to the network. It sees all and I can access all and everything on the XP's from the Laptop. On each XP I can see the Laptop workgroup and C: and Public available for mapping. When I map to the C:, I get the "No access allowed." I have shared the C:, under security have shared the C:. On Microsoft site I found something about permissions, and have given permission to everything, and still I can get no access to C:. In fact, to test this I decided to share the CD drive, and gave the same configuration to it as I have the C: drive, and I have access to it. There is only one account on the Laptop, password protected, and on the XP there is only one account, password protected. New to this forum & Vista, so if there is some info I can provide you about what I have done, please ask. Some place, I do not remember where, I saw the idea that sharing the root directory on vista is very difficult. Thanks.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome. You need to have the others users with user names setup on the laptop.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can configure Simple Sharing for all of them to eliminate the password requirement.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Will that work with a printer connected to one John? That's for my info :D

JGBCordova

Thank you for your replies. I have the user on the laptop the same as the user on the XP. Access denied. Now, I have the CD drive mapped, and sharing set for it, and I can access it easily. Note that Public is available. I have given security rights, sharing rights, "this folder and all subfolders," and when the C: drive is available, most of the folders are "Access denied." In the manual, PDF file on the computer, it mentions sharing drives, and all it mentions is to set the drive to "Share." I have not tried the D: drive, which is the recovery drive, of course. Maybe I will "Share" it and see if it comes up. As I said, on some post the indication was that the C: drive has so many security/owner, whatever issues that it is difficult to full share.

JGBCordova

Thanks for the link. As it says, it gives instructions for use of the Public sections, which do not require user/password authorizations. Vista has restrictions on the C: drive which are not placed on the other drives. This was my problem, I think, as the PDF manual indicates simple file sharing, and I was accustomed to the seeing the whole drive, as in XP. I think we can say this is completed now. Many thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online