1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Access denied for range of file types

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Figaro, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Figaro

Figaro Thread Starter

Have career (job search) and financial files from '99 that were moved via floppy disk, tape, CD, or e-mail from old NT 4.0 to newer NT 4.0 box and then to current W2K box. On latter two boxes these files produced 'access restricted' errors and were inaccessible. I've kept them in hopes of someday being able to reaccess the data. These file types include doc, txt, html, MS Money data, and possibly another one or two. In other words, file type is not the issue. I was on the old boxes and am on the W2K box THE administrator, and I have tried everything from renaming, taking ownership, changing permissions for folder and file, and still cannot access them. The current drive and previous drive were both NTFS, but I may have had a problem on a FAT drive also, although that is vague in my mind.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi there, saw your reported post. Sometimes posts get overlooked, just post back to the thread, that gets it back to the top again for new people to have a look ;)

3. Figaro

Figaro Thread Starter

OK...I would appreciate any help available with this problem. THX

4. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

maybe the documents/files/folders you made under the old program are not compatible with the new program. because of the way the program was rewritten.

you said these files were from '99. this being '05. alot has changed in 6 years.

5. Figaro

Figaro Thread Starter

Despite the six year time span, this problem existed the minute I had gone to a new O/S 3-4 years ago. I've always suspected it was a rights issue, but, since Admin rights were mine in each situation, that should'nt apply, unless there's an NTFS issue with SIDs...

6. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

i am not doubting the "rights" are yours. writing or saving something under a program. then later after doing a upgrade to a newer system. whoever designed that program may have 'improved' it. so as not to comply with what you used to create the document earlier.

i know...clear as mud. maybe someone has a better idea or thought. :D

7. Figaro

Figaro Thread Starter

Including text files, i.e., Notepad docs???

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Can you copy them to the hard drive and open them?

9. Figaro

Figaro Thread Starter

I've tried that. They are not on the original medium but the harddrive of another computer now.

10. ~Candy~

I guess I'll assume both computers use the NTFS file system?

11. Figaro

Figaro Thread Starter

Correct.

12. ~Candy~

Oops, I guess you said that earlier :eek:

Oh, well, we got you to the top of the list again :)

13. Figaro

Figaro Thread Starter

2/11/02 is the date of all files (over 1,600) that are no longer accessible. They range from unique file types in programs such as Tax Cut to bitmaps, hdl, help, html, exes, doc, Excel, pdf, text, and many other file types...all inaccessible.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I have a limited knowledge of NTFS permissions, but from what I understand when you "move" a file, as opposed to "copy" it, it retains the security permissions and ID of the folder from which it was moved "from". On the other hand, when you copy a file, it takes on the permissions of the folder or media to which it is copied. You can get permissions errors even though you have set up a new system with the same User Name.

So if you still have access to the old files, you can try a copy.

If not, you need to "take possession" of the new files by changing their permissions.

I don't know why you should be having a problem taking possession if you are following proper procedures.

How about if you copy them to a FAT32 system?

2K:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/confeat/13w2kadc.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300691&sd=tech

15. Figaro

Figaro Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog,

Thanks for suggestion, however, that had already been done. I did discover that I was not Owner of the drive, so I changed that. Also, discovered that Encryption could not be removed from these files (all dated 2/11/2002) nor others on same drive, or, at least, same directory. Kept getting 'access denied' once Encryption removal was attempted through Advanced properties. Since this applies to files other than those I originally could not access, seems a secondary issue unrelated to first, especially since I can change file/directory/drive permissions without a problem.

Still without access...

Ralph

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!