1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Access denied - Server 2003

Discussion in 'Networking' started by snteran, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snteran

snteran Thread Starter

We just added a new domain controller and moved the shared folders from the old dc to the new dc. The old dc was on server 2000 and the new one is on server 2003. I have given proper access to all folders so the security should be fine. However employees are unable to access the Shared drive. If I go under the Sharing properties from the share and add Everyone, they get access, but this also allows them access to read all folders in this shared drive.
    Not sure what extra setting I'm missing. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    double check the properties of the shared folders to see what effective permissions you have.

3. snteran

snteran Thread Starter

I have no Effective permissions set for them. neither my User nor my Departments have any effective permissions set. It's weird how my User share is working fine but not my Departments. I have to have the everyone in the NTFS permissions in order for users to access certain folders but this ends up giving them access to all folders in the Departments share. Very confusing!

4. snteran

snteran Thread Starter

I should clarify my comment on no effective permissions. I do have under the Share permissions, Everyone: full control. And under the NTFS permissions I have the Administrators and was forced to put the everyone in order for users to be able to access the Departments share.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I meant if you put in your username, what permissions does it say you have?

For example, right click on the shared folder > properties > Security Tab > Advanced button > Effective Permissions tab. Click on Select, put your username in and you can see what permissions you have.

6. snteran

snteran Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestion, it did allow me to see what some users had for access. I went to the Advanced tab and edited the everyone entry and only have List Folder. If I remove all checked items the everyone entry removes itself and then no one can access any of the shared files. At least now there is some security. I'll be working getting the everyone removed. Thanks for your help. I'll be posting help on switching my DNS and DHCP later, hopefully you have some good insight there.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    (y) no problem.

You can mark your thread solved by going to Thread Tools on top of this thread :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice