1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: access denied to control panel and cd drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by timcd100, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timcd100

timcd100 Thread Starter

I'm considering re-formatting my hard drive because my computer doesn't contain a lot of personal information and I have a virus that ravaged the computer (although this isn't a virus removal question). My question is if I do re-format my pc would it be likely that I'd get access to my cd drive back so I can re-install windows?

Some more info:

When I put a CD in nothing happens. However I can still boot from CDs.

Although "control panel" is removed from the "my computer" folder I can find it in the pull down menu in "network connections" but when I click it a message says "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your administrator."

When I press ctrl + alt + delete a message says "task manager has been disabled by your administrator."

Thanks a lot for any help.

2. ckphilli

ckphilli

If you can boot from your CD, you shouldn't have a problem with the reformat or install.

I would...boot from the CD, format, and install windows. It can all be part of the installation process, not separate as you alluded to above (bold).

Hope this helps- Chris

3. raikhi

raikhi

Do you have administrator privileges on the computer? If it is a work computer and your network/IT guys control it - then you canNOT do things....

4. timcd100

timcd100 Thread Starter

No it's a home computer, the messages are malware or hijacking. It's a reeal good thing not much personal information is stored on this computer or else it would be in Malaysia and several other countries I'm guessing by now.

5. ckphilli

ckphilli

That is a nasty virus...I had one that sounds similar a while back.

How about marking this thread solved if you're satisfied...thanks

6. jazz3000

jazz3000

Your OS is separate from the Hardware and Bios. You should be able to set the Bios to the Boot sequence before you reformat and install. CD - HD - Floppy if you have one. Make sure you've also clicked the Default Settings in your Bios. Save by hitting F10 and reboot tapping your space bar. Your OS and CD should be fine. Let us know...Jazz

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/636414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice