1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: access: even distrabution of random numbers

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by draceplace, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. draceplace

draceplace Thread Starter

I want to evenly distribute work to 4 people (thousands of cases)
    I use this:

Int((4-1+1)*Rnd([ID])+1)

where [ID] is a number from the record (like case or, actually any field will work) else you get the same number all the time (in Access query). Its called the ‘seed’.

My test distrabution looks like this:
    Expr1 CountOfExpr1
    1 72
    2 69
    3 57
    4 86

Is there a way to even this up a little? The difference in 3 an 4 is 7% which could be huge over 1000's of records

2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

In that particular case what was the seed?
    The distribution suggests it was restricted to around the 65 mark.

3. draceplace

I pointed at the autonumber which was the ID in this case and was different for each record?

4. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

The thing is they are Random number, so they shouldn't be even, only over a very long period.
    So maybe you are asking too much of it.
    It is interesting that the random works in a query like that maybe you can use that in place of the code that I provided.

5. draceplace

Thanks for looking OBP. I didn't see the 'code' you provided??? I look at few post here before posting and didn't see my specif issue, so being a little lazy I started a thread.

I'm going run this on their cases to assign and see what happens when they present the data. Maybe it will even out as the number gets bigger. Or they can assign the biggest number to the best worker or something then reassign again later or something. I could simply pass the file in VBscript with a counter that resets after 4 but trying to keep it in the simple access box.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060392