1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Accessing a Vista HDD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pandimensional, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pandimensional

Pandimensional Thread Starter

Hello,

An old Vista laptop (with a bad battery and other possible power issues) containing valuable user documents was replaced with a new Windows 7 laptop. The user docs from the previous laptop are needed.

My first approach has been to put the old laptop's Vista HDD in the the new laptop. It won't boot into Windows (despite it booting fine in the previous laptop). Startup repair can't seem to help.

My first question is if this latter method typically works, or if it is not advised. Meaning, I can't swap system HDD's and expect them to work?

Second, seeing as though my first idea didn't work, I have questions about my second idea - using an external HDD USB kit to access the drive from another system.

Will I be able to access user files in this manner, so that they can be saved to a flash drive? Might I run into a permissions issue, and if so, what do I do?

Thank you!

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

As with most laptops, the OS installed on the old drive will have an OEM licence and is not transferable to another PC.

What you should be doing, with the old hard drive installed in the new machine, is booting into Windows 7 from where you should be able to access the old hard drive through Windows Explorer and copy all the important files. Check that it is recognised in the Bios and set as a slave drive.

If you have any permissions problems accessing the drive then follow this guide: How to take ownership of a hard drive

3. Pandimensional

How can I boot into Windows 7 when I have the Vista HD installed? This is a laptop. I can only have one internal HD installed at a time.

I can put the Win 7 drive back in and access the Vista drive from an external usb kit, but I don't understand how I can have both drives installed at the same time as to be able to boot into 7 and access the Vista HD as a slave?

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

I am sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you had a spare drive bay that you were putting the old drive into.

This being the case, you can use a USB Hard Drive Adapter which should allow full access to anything on the drive.

You could also use an Ubuntu disc (which is free) with the old drive fitted in the new PC.
    Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows

5. Pandimensional

Thank you Mark. I will check out Ubantu. That's looks like a great tool.

I was able to use an external USB kit to access the files. There was a permissions issue but Win 7 took care of it.

All the files have been transferred to the new system and all is good in the shire.

:)

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, let us know how it goes or you need any further help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice