1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Accessing bkf files from MyBook drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lovlee1999, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lovlee1999

lovlee1999 Thread Starter

I have a MyBook Essentials Edition 2.0 external backup drive. I had everything from my previous computer backed up on this drive. The old computer died.(blues screen of death after accidental power loss during shut down). It was running on Windows XP Pro. My new computer is Windows 7. I plug in my MyBook and I can see the drive on the computer but when I try and open the files it says the computer doesn't know what program to use to open them. The files are .bkf format. Can someone help me get my files on to my new computer? Many thanks!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You have just been nailed by the number one reason to NEVER use the Microsoft Backup programs.
    They are good ONLY on the same OS that they were made on.

You need to find a machine with XP installed and the MS Backup, have these files restored to another external drive so they can be transferred to your new machine.

3. lovlee1999

Oh my. Trying that now with a laptop. Says it's going to take 60 days (and counting) for the restore. Thank you for your help.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you did a full system backup using Windows Backup and are now restoring everything, the laptop won't boot when it's done. You should have restored only your data files.

5. Hughv

Hughv

Don't be so hasty:
    Description of the Windows NT Backup Restore Utility for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2
    "The utility restores backups that are made on Windows XP and on Windows Server 2003 to computers that are running Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=974674
    Admittedly, this has been a problem in the past, but MS is getting a little smarter.
    I'm a big fan of NTBackup despite its limitations, and it has always worked very well for me.

6. lovlee1999

Hughv - I tried that download and it says it is not applicable to my computer.

I did a restore of just the backup files onto a laptop running XP. I then copied that folder onto the external drive and then on to my desktop. I was only able to retrieve about 75% of my files, mostly pictures, but it's better than nothing. I was able to get my downloaded music off my iPod and thankfully I still have my CD's which I can scan on to the new computer.

Lesson learned, I won't use Windows Backup. Thank you to everyone for their help.

7. Hughv

Hughv

It should download just fine (It did for me). Make sure you pick the appropriate version-x32 or x 64.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice