1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Accessing Documents Crash

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Danny555, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danny555

Danny555 Thread Starter

I'm having a major problem with my laptop and I do not have the experience to sort it out, so i'm in need of some help.

The other day my computer crashed randomly and restarted. I did not know why, but after a few crashes I managed to work out that it was triggered whenever I tried to do anything that accesses my documents. I can still use my mozilla firefox, windows live messenger, skype and no doubt most of my other programs if I tried them.

I noticed that when the laptop crashed, there was a quick flash of a BOIS screen for about half a second before it restarts. So i've managed to get a few photographs of the BOIS screen (shown below) however the top line is tough to read because my laptop has a cracked screen.

Any help is appreciated and let me know if you need any more info. Regards, Daniel.

ADDED: Starting in safe mode gives me complete access to documents, but nothing can really be done from there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Direct links for images:
    http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo118/killercan555/P150509_1646.jpg
    http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo118/killercan555/P150509_1856.jpg

2. JPLamb

JPLamb

I have heard of this problem before but the person never got back to me about it, The main thing that i advise when these problems start happening is to back up all of your data that you can not afford to lose. then you know that its safe if anything else happens.

I think from what i have heard before it is to do with a corrupt system file related to Office, If you put the installation disk in to your computer you can try and repair the installation and if that doesn't work you may need to uninstall office, restart your computer then reinstall it.

BACK UP before doing anything, wouldn't want you to lose your data.

Let us know what happens

JPLamb

3. Danny555

Danny555 Thread Starter

Well i cant back up my files because it crashes every time i try to access them. I will give it a go in safe mode though. Do you mean re-install office or windows?

4. JPLamb

JPLamb

Are you able to copy the folder that the documents are stored to a memory stick?

it would be reinstalling office,

JPLamb

5. Danny555

Danny555 Thread Starter

No like i say, doing anything with my documents causes a crash. As soon as i open my computer; crash, as soon as i try and scan my computer; crash.

6. JPLamb

JPLamb

Have you tried running a virus scan? if it doesn't work in normal mode try it in safemode. Did your computer come with a windows CD? if what is the model number and make of your computer?

you mentioned that you could acess your documents in safe mode are you able to back them up that way?

7. Danny555

Danny555 Thread Starter

When i run my computer in safe mode, there is no sign of the problem and my virus scan doesnt find anything. i will try backing up my files in safe mode, so i wont reply to this for a while now because of that. i have 2 part windows restore disks, aswell as the option to re-install without them.

I will get back to you with the model number and other info.

8. JPLamb

JPLamb

If you have the disks i am thinking that there may be a corrupt file, if you put the first disk in to the computer and then start it up depending on your computer you should have an option to boot from the cd, if you get this option then you will be able to repair the installation of windows, this should not do any damage to the files on the computer but may sort the problem.

Backing up the files is recommended just in case anything goes wrong

9. Danny555

Danny555 Thread Starter

Right thanks. I'll give it a gto and let you know what happens.

10. JPLamb

JPLamb

Ok, make sure you read everything carefully before you tell it to do anything it is easy to miss read something and go wrong

11. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Look in your c:\windows\minidump folder for minixxxxxx-xx.dmp files (x = numbers). Zip 4 or 5 recent ones and post here az a zip or rar attachment. We can run a debug utility on the crash dump logs to help find the problem.

12. Danny555

Danny555 Thread Starter

Well i haven't had any option for repairing instead of completely rebooting. It did mention at the beginning that it was recovering my user data, and that some may have been lost, but because i was unable to back up my files i have probably lost them.

13. Danny555

Danny555 Thread Starter

Ok, final outcome. I rebooted my laptop and it managed to back up the files that i previously had. As it looks now i haven't lost any, but there could still be something missing. The files for a lot of my programs such as itunes are either lost on my computer or have ben lost all together. Either way i can get them back. The problem does not seem to have reoccured and things seem ok. Thank you for the help, Daniel

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/827402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice