1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: accessing e-mail from 2 different PC's using Outlook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by drivestr6, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drivestr6

drivestr6 Thread Starter

Please answer a question for me. I have two computers, one desktop and a new laptop I just set up on a wireless network. I have just completed setting up Outlook on my new laptop and can send and receive e-mail perfectly. However, I can not see any of the e-mails thnat are in my inbox which were opened on my desktop, nor can I see the ones I opened on my desktop on my laptop.
    I called my ISP and they said that if I use Outlook, that is what will happen, because the opened e-mail is saved to the hard drive on the computer that opens it.
    This sounds absolutely ridiculous. Can this be true? And if so, why would Outlook work like this.
    I have used outlook at work for years and on my home desktop for about 2 ½ years. At work it doesn’t matter what PC I log into, as long as I had access, I could see all my e-mails.
    Is the guy at the ISP full of Sh_t or what?

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

do you have a shortcut to the inbox on the desktop or how are you accessing the inbox?

how are you saving the email?

i use oe and outlook interchangably on several computers and view stuff in the inbox and if i want to "save as" do it as a doc or pic but usually don't save any email to the desktop because i hide the icons and don't want to see them.

in oe i just "saved as" an email to the desktop and it opened fine.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

"At work" you will have an email server, which holds the emails that you see in your inbox etc, and it is accessible from any PC.

"At home", you do not have an incoming server station, whichever PC accesses the ISP server downloads the email. So it's completely gone from the ISP and now resides on the PC that downloaded it.

Naturally no other PC can see it.

Don't blame the ISP, it's the way you have set things up.

In Outlook on your home PC's make sure that they are all set to "leave a copy on the server", then you will see them from any PC, as every PC will download a copy but leave the original for any other PC to download as well.

But - your email box will fill up at the ISP, you will need to delete then from the ISP from time to time.

In short, it's how you choose to setup Outlook and maintain your ISP inbox, it's not a problem with your ISP.

If you had a full server PC setup at home, with a local network and email server software running, it would work at home just like work.

4. The Villan

The Villan

Another posiibilty is if you have a webmail facility with your ISP, then don't use OE but log into your webmail from either machine and work from there. Neeed to have good housekeeping skills though, depending on how much storage you are allowed.

5. RickLord

RickLord

Ok to expand on what kiwiguy said.

If your using outlook express i dont know if the setting are in the same place but on outlook 2003 you can do teh following.

open outlook
    got to >tools>email accounts
    >select view or change existing email accounts
    > on the next page selevt your account and click change
    >select more setting from the window that pops up
    >select advanced tab
    > at the bottom tick the box to leave a copy on server
    >tick the box remove from server atfer x number of days

If you leave email for say 10 days on the server this should give you a good chance that you would have used both your laptop and your PC so email should have been downloaded to both.

Make sure you change teh setting on both your laptop and PC

Hope this helps

Rick

6. coachdan32

coachdan32

I have mine setup to leave a copy on the server until I delete it from a particular machine. I can't remember where that option is, but the way it is setup I just make sure that I don't delete it from that machine until I have checked it on all machines or until I am sure I am through with it.

7. drivestr6

drivestr6 Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone that replied particularly to kiwiguy, ricklord and coachdan32. I'm all set and e-mail is working perfectly.
    consider this all your random acts of kindness for the day!

Aloha drivetr6

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Its been a pleasure drivestr6 !

9. coachdan32

coachdan32

no problem, make sure you mark the thread solved under thread tools

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice