Solved: Accessing iNet IP from same LAN

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TacticalSniper

Hey all,

Here's the situation: I am attempting to access the external IP of my organization from same LAN the IP directs to.

To elaborate: I have laptops PCs for traveling users. In order for them to be able to connect their Outlooks to the Exchange server, I've set up an RPC over HTTP connection. It works great from outside, allowing users to work with their Outlooks as usual. However, the problems start when users get back to my LAN. If, for example, from outside their Outlooks go to IP 192.147.111.57, everything connects fine. However, when they get back into the LAN, their Outlooks obviously attempt to reach the same IP from within its own network, meaning they simply get timeouts.

Question: is there any way to set up my main router to re-address traffic in a way that would allow such connections to work seamlessly? Does a router has to have a specific option to allow such redirection, or could it be configured through simple static routing?

Ask me if I didn't explain well. Oh, and TIA!

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Your router needs to support loopback of the public IP address configured on its WAN port.

TacticalSniper

Right. Thanks a lot, mate.

So I guess there's no way to set this up somehow using routing, right? I know the question is stupid, I was just wondering...

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Not with your typical SOHO or even some SMB routers. I know pretty much all the Netgear routers I've touched personally have this capability. The models I know for sure do it are the FVS318, WGR614, and the FVS338. I have a WGT624 which I haven't tried this on but I'm sure it will also support this.

TacticalSniper

Thanks a bunch, mate. Until now, our hardware supplier sold us SMB routers that were supposedly good, but now that I became responsible for everything computer-wise I see all the shortfalls.

Thanks a lot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online