Solved: Accessing LAN server through WAN request?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Event3horizon

Banned
I'm not sure if my subject is really worded correctly, im not an expert in networking, but heres my question.

I have a motorola vonage VT2142 router with a broadband internet connection (1 ip address). One of the computers connected to it is running a web server. The problem is, whenever i try to access that webserver using my public wan ip address THROUGH my internal LAN, the web browser just gives an immediate error accessing server. BUT, people outside my LAN can access the server fine through my public ip. I can also access it using the LAN ip address directly within my own LAN of course. My port forwarding is also set correctly. So ultimately, is this a feature or a bug?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That's normal operation. Unless your router supports NAT loopback, you can't use the public IP address inside your network. I suspect that cheap Motorola VoIP router doesn't have such support.

Event3horizon

Banned
That's normal operation. Unless your router supports NAT loopback, you can't use the public IP address inside your network. I suspect that cheap Motorola VoIP router doesn't have such support.
Yea see i kind of though so because My dlink wireless router has no problem doing NAT loopback as you say. So if I want to do this i probably want to restructure my home network making my dlink wireless do the routing and the voip router just a node on my network so my phone can work.

Thank you for the reply

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You're welcome.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online