1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Accessing "real" administrator Account

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bderouen, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bderouen

bderouen Thread Starter

Hi all!
    I have been trying to get to the actual Administrator account on my PC and am having trouble. I found several articles showing how to use the CMD prompt line to get to it (net users Administrator \active:yes) and I got it to complete successfully. The problem is once I log off and back on, I still don't see the ability to log onto admin account.

I've tried this on both my desktop at home and my Surface Pro 3 and I get the same results. Anyone have any ideas? I know it's some little something I'm missing...I just can't remember what.

Thanks for your help!

Bruce

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    One should NEVER use this Administrator account. It is best to run the exe file "As Administrator".

What is it that you are trying to do the you MUST login as the Administrator?

3. bderouen

bderouen Thread Starter

Oh I know I shouldn't use this on a regular basis. (as they say, this isn't my first rodeo! ;) But I need to access one of the other accounts on my machine and run a cleanup on it. My disk space is disappearing FAST and I need to see why I know this is the only way I can readily access the entire machine.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I am able to access other other accounts when I use my normal account that is part of the Admin group.

If the owner of other accounts has set the account NOT to be shared, then even then you may not be able to do what you want.

Why not just have the owner of the other account login and do a clean up.

5. bderouen

bderouen Thread Starter

It's a long story. Point is, it's MY computer and I've set up an account for someone else. I made him an admin so I don't have to approve every time he did anything, which was a pain in the butt. Now my HDD is down to less than 7 GBs left and he keeps telling me he's not downloading anything. I want to see for myself. That's why I want to get to that account.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Then you need to have this person, copy OFF all of their data and get their own machine.
    Then remove their account and files from your machine.

7. bderouen

bderouen Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, Dave but I have a reason for needing this account. I did find what I was looking for though. I have to activate it through the Users snap-in on the Manage App. Strange that even though I did the command line prompt which was recommended, it was still disabled. I enabled it and voila...it shows up! I'm going to do what I need and then re-disable it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!