1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Accessing slave drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dcbell, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcbell

dcbell Thread Starter

I ran into problems about a month ago when (I believe) a corrupt winlogon.exe prevented me from entering windows. A repair install actually made the situation worse, and I was stuck in a cycle in which booting always resulted in a perpetual "Setup is being restarted..." message. Worrying that my drive was about to die, I quickly installed a second hard drive as a master and moved as many files as possible over to the new drive. I have had no further problems with the faulty drive, but there are some files I cannot access because they were protected by a user name that does not apply to the new master. Can I disable the password protection on the slave drive and uninstall windows without booting with that one?

2. dcbell

dcbell Thread Starter

Solution: In Safe Mode as an administrator, a fourth tab appears in folder properties. Once in the security tab, I clicked on advanced, then the owner tab. I made myself the owner and checked "replace owner on subcontainers and objects." The inaccessible files were then accessible.

Note: This also allowed me to view more system files and program files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice