1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Accessing websites via ip address url not working

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tavroh92, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tavroh92

tavroh92 Thread Starter

Hello

Im having problems with my main pc. When i go to a website like google i am unable to access the website i get the message server not found. However if i type the ip address for google(74.125.236.81) I am linked to google. I have tried other browsers and no differences to the outcome just another unable to find error. How do i fix this?

Also my home internet is working im using another computer and can surf the web normally.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try a different DNS server, like 8.8.4.4.

Try running Namebench or similar to find the fastest server for your machine.

3. tavroh92

tavroh92 Thread Starter

Can u explain how to?
    I also installed that program and ran it but i don't understand how it helps.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go to Start > Run, and type:

ncpa.cpl

Find your active connection, right-click it and choose Properties. Find the IPv4 settings and double-click that.

You'll find a box for DNS server. It is probably set to automatic now. In the box, put 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS) or any other free, public DNS server address (search online). If you run Namebench, it tries to find the one that is the fastest for you to use.

5. tavroh92

tavroh92 Thread Starter

Thank you. This helped if it would not be much could you explain how an issue like this can arise?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

No idea in your case. It could be a temporary outage of your normal DNS server. Or some program that you use may have changed the address (though that seems unlikely without your explicit permission, though people don't, in general, unless they are seriously neurotic, read every detail of every "OK" that they click on in the course of a day, or they wouldn't have enough time to get anything done). An infection could even have changed it to try to prevent you from getting help.

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

7. tavroh92

tavroh92 Thread Starter

Although my connection will drop for some brief periods?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

There's a question mark, but it appears to be a statement. I don't understand.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice