1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Accessing Windows Recovery Console

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mdoug_3, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mdoug_3

mdoug_3 Thread Starter

Good morning,

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop computer. I bought it used a couple of years ago. It worked fine until yesterday when the laptop froze and I performed a hard shut down. When I tried to restart it, I cannot get passped the Windows XP banner. The screen is just dark after that. I tried using the F12 option and got the 1000 1046 error. I tried researching this on several sites. The best solution appears to be the Windows Recovery Console. I am not sure how to access this. Again, I purchased the computer used. All restoration files on the computer and I cannot get it to boot up. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

That usually indicates a hard drive error,
    The recovery console is loaded from the XP CD if you have one and by entering setup, normally F2 as computer boots you change the boot priority to boot from CD. Then you insert the XP CD and access the Recovery Console by pressing R when indicated.
    Do you have the XP CD, note the Dell reinstallation CD may not include the recovery console.
    Check your Dell user guide or manual if you have one to see if I am right and that error indicates hard drive.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  4. mdoug_3

mdoug_3 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I don't have any installation discs. I am at work now. I have been researching this issue all morning. Another suggestion is for me to expose the hard drive area and make sure all connections are secure. I took a trip with my laptop recently. Perhaps I shook something loose. If that does not help, I will be back to square one. Do you know if I would be able to access the recovery console option without the CD?

Thanks,
    mdoug_3

5. Macboatmaster

It may have done, but it would not be expected.
    The more likely problem is the forced shut down has caused file corruption.
    I am not familiar with that laptop but if you have the user guide you will find if the hard drive is accessible from a panel on the base of the laptop - most are. However some are only accessible by removing the keyboard -.
    Go here and inset your actual model as required

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

6. mdoug_3

mdoug_3 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. Whan I get home, I see what I come up with. I will let you know either way.

Thanks again!

mdoug_3

7. mdoug_3

mdoug_3 Thread Starter

Thanks. Hopefully I can get up and running. I will let you know.

8. mdoug_3

mdoug_3 Thread Starter

I removed the battery and hard drive cover on the bottom of the laptop. I did not see anything out of place (it was suggested that something may have come loose). I replaced the battery and hard drive cover and tried starting the computer. Windows booted up just fine.

9. itsjusme

itsjusme

You can get a stand alone version of the RECOVERY CONSOLE from here:
    http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
    It`s a small download, 7 or 8mb i think. Burn the .iso to cd as a disk image to make it bootable as you would any bootable cd. When you boot it up , it will appear as any windows installation cd, you will see"Press any key to boot from cd." , then press R to enter recovery console. It will also ask for the admin password, enter it if you have one set up, just hit enter to bypass if you dont. This disk will not install windows, it is the RECOVERY CONSOLE ONLY, and has all the functionality.

10. mdoug_3

mdoug_3 Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I will burn the cd and keep it for future issues.
    Happy New Year!!

11. Macboatmaster

You will need an ISO burning program for that file. If you do not have one HERE it is.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/burncdcc.html
    As itsjustme has said, this is only a way of accessing the recovery console, it is however very useful.
    It will allow you to carry out chkdsk when Windows will not load because of HDD file errors and it will allow other functions. It will not however allow you to copy any Windows files from the CD, as you could with the recovery console on an XP CD, as there are of course none there.

PLease mark the thread solved.

12. mdoug_3

mdoug_3 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice