1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Accidentally cut off Modem & Router - Wireless connectivity problems. Help?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gunnerblaster, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gunnerblaster

Gunnerblaster Thread Starter

So, several days ago - I was cleaning house, bumped into the multi-socket switch and cut off power to my Desktop and the Modem and Router hooked up to it. I turned everything back on and messed around with the modem/router (Unplugging them and reseting them) until the internet started working again. Unfortunately, while using the internet wirelessly from my laptop - I run into momentary lag spikes every several minutes, as if I lose connection for 5-15 seconds. I've went ahead and called my ISP and they told me that the problem wasn't with my modem but with my router and since the router is a 3rd party (not their problem), they told me they couldn't help me. I'm using a Dynex Enhanced wireless G Router.

I've tried everything I know how to do (which isn't much, I admit), ranging from reseting the Router, logging into the Router and reseting it from there and re-doing all my preferences and encryption protection on the Desktop. For my laptop, I went and deleted the auto-connect icon and hooked back up onto it and did my password and everything but my internet is still going slow.

I need help - Badly. These momentary lag-spikes are driving me insane!

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Don't know if this will be much help,but,
    When you reset the router,did you hold the button in for at least 15 seconds?
    Might try changing the wireless channel(1/6/11 in US )

3. Gunnerblaster

I did try reseting the Router and even holding the reset button for 15+ seconds. I've tried resetting the router, both, manually and via logging into the Router and resetting it there.

Neither do I know what a wireless channel is or how to change it - Could you possibly elaborate for me?

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Should be covered in your router manual,but basically,you log into your router,go to the wireless section/basic wireless setting/wireless channel.May be a bit different on your router,but most are pretty much the same.

5. Gunnerblaster

Ah, I think I know what you're talking about. So, is it possible that my laptop and Desktop are both connected - Except my desktop is on one "frequency" channel while my laptop is on another? That is why it is still getting internet connection, just those odd lag-spikes?

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

So are both pc's wireless?
    But the answer to your question is:No_One router works on one wireless channel.

7. Gunnerblaster

No, my desktop is hardwired to the router and modem (it's my "Base" for my internet). My desktop's internet runs fine. It's my Laptop that is having the trouble holding a solid connection and I think that the problem is either with my wireless router or the router settings on my laptop.

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

I would try the channel change first and then for good measure,go to your laptop's maker's web site ,download and install the most current driver for your wireless adapter.

9. Gunnerblaster

Yeah - As far as a computer maker goes, Toshiba (personally) sucks for customer support. No luck finding any driver updates. I'm going back through my "New Updates" icon, though, and making sure everything is up to date.

Just change my channel for my Desktop and Laptop both to 1/6/11?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You change the channel on the router using, preferably, an ethernet connected computer.

11. Gunnerblaster

Is it a possibility that the settings on my laptop are different from my desktop and though I am connecting to the internet - It is causing these lag-spikes?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It is possible that you are now using a different channel and getting wireless interference; this is what pedroguy is trying to determine now. Next he'll probably ask you to try an ethernet connection to determine whether you have a router or laptop problem. :)

Pretty much anything is possible at this point. Trouble shooting tries to narrow the possibilities.

13. pedroguy

pedroguy

Info in posts 1 and 7 to me indicate that the ethernet connection is not affected,but if that is not the case,please let me know.

14. Gunnerblaster

Alright - Thanks for the help. I'll be back to ask more questions, I'm sure - So I'll leave this unsolved, for the time being. On my way out the door, at the moment, so I'll have to try it later.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I may have missed something there (sure wouldn't be the first time! :D ), but I think that the laptop has not been tested with an ethernet connection.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice