1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Accidentally Installed Windows XP Over Windows XP service pack 2..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hen99, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hen99

hen99 Thread Starter

My dad accidentally installed Windows XP Over the current working Windows XP Service Pack 2.
    THis is on an old laptop which has some important school work which I have been trying to get copied to memory stick but with no luck.
    My dad thought the laptop was running ever so slow and thought that reinstalling XP would make it quicker again.

Now after it has done, the laptop not running well at all.
    It loads but when you choose ANY user account it loads up till the desktop and nothing happens after that. THe start menu and icons don't show up. Its like its got nothing else to load. The task manager can be run (control+alt+del) and everything is responding.
    I have also tried running it in safe mode but the same still happens.

THe closest I have got was to use the XP disk and use the recovery console and try to use the command promp to copy the documents and settings\my documents into the memory stick but when it tries to go to documents and settings it says that the access is denied :eek: .
    I think the laptop would eventually have it formatted and started again but is there anyway to get the work off it into the memory stick??

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

See this for how to take ownership of the files so that you can salvage them . . . Then tell Dad that you love him anyway!

3. hen99

hen99 Thread Starter

I will try that only if the desktop would continue loading instead of freezing just when the wallpaper appears. Nothing else appears, no folders nor icons so i cannot do what you just said.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Can you boot into safe mode? . . tap F8 repeatedly after pressing the power button.

Another alternative is to take the drive out and temporarily attach it to a working pc to salvage the data . . works best if you connect to the secondary channel . . the one with the CD/DVD drives or via a usb adaptor

5. hen99

hen99 Thread Starter

Its still the same when I boot it into safe mode.
    I may give the 'take the drive out' a try but I havent opened up a laptop before:D .

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Look at the manufacturers website for how to get to the drive

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd remove the drive and connect it to a desktop machine to recover the files. Continued screwing around with it may result in total data loss, best to minimize the damage first, then try to fix Windows.

8. hen99

hen99 Thread Starter

Well I got a little impatient so I tried to do a clean install of Windows XP :eek: onto a new folder in the root directory. It said that is i install it over the currently installed one, it may result in complete data loss which i was scared about. Now After installing it into a new directory, everything works fine. It managed to load into the new windows.

Also there was another hurdle I jumped over. In that I could not access the previously documents and settings. YES it was all intact :D phew!. I have just changed a few permissions and it allowed me to access my work. :D
    Now I have backed it all up and am almost ready to do a clean format of the system.

Thanks for the advice.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/569101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice