1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: accidently disabled graphics card, now blank screen and cant re-enable card

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by -MG-, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. -MG-

-MG- Thread Starter

Recently I noticed that my resolution was maxed at 1024*768 and i couldnt go any higher than that and in all of my frustration and attempts to figure out why this was occuring i managed to disable my graphics card and now upon startup, everything seems fine while the windows XP logo loading page is up then when the blue screen should appear and the desktop, all i get is a blank screen. It seems like the comp is startin properly, just that i have no graphics. Ive tried to go into safe mode but while it begins to load it then stops at agp440.sys which i then disabled in the recovery console but then it just stops at the previous process and so on.

Does anyone know how I can re-enable my graphics card or fix this problem about not being able to get into safe mode???

I cant find anywhere in BIOS where I can re-enable it... I've also taken out the mobo batt and reset CMOS settings but still no go!!!

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

2. emoxley

emoxley

Did you try taking the card out of it's slot, and using the onboard video? If you do that, and it still doesn't work, it may be a coincidence that the monitor has gone bad at that same time. If you take the card out, and it does work with the onboard video, try putting the card back in, and try it again. When putting the card back in, Windows should detect new hardware and install a new driver for you, when you boot up. If it still won't work then, you may have to get another video card.

You can save a step, if you have another monitor you can try, before going back into the computer.
    Good luck!

3. -MG-

-MG- Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice emoxley.
    I forgot to include in my initial post that i have tried another graphics card that is in working order and another monitor. I even connected a s-vid cable from the back of the graphics card to the tv and the tv showed the same problem, graphics present up to and including the windows loading page then nothing...
    I seems as if its been disabled right back to the mobo but as i said i cant find anywhere in bios to alter this.

Also i dont have onboard graphics...

4. emoxley

emoxley

Ok, sorry. I thought onboard graphics came on all computers. Only other suggestion I have is to contact the manufacturer of your video card. They may know what to do.
    Sorry I wasn't more help.
    Good luck!

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does VGA mode appear in the boot options after pressing F8? What about "Last Good..."?

6. Hughv

Hughv

Boot to the XP CD and try a repair install. Use the second option that comes after install is selected.

7. -MG-

-MG- Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas guys. Elvandil no I couldnt see anything about VGA mode in the boot options. Anyway guys all the frustration just led me to reformat which understandably did fix the problem. Ill just make sure i dont go disabling it again in the future. I really would have thought it would be a simple setting in bios that could re-enable the device but I certainly couldnt see it anywhere.
    Hughv I did boot with the CD and tried to repair but it just froze after i selected the problem similar to the problem with accessing safe mode...

Anyway, all is ok now, thanks for your advice guys.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools at the top of the page.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/598471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice