1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Account M.I.A. after hibernation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cwwozniak, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chuck
    My admin level user account on a Compaq CQ5210P desktop running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium seems to have gone into hiding.

I put the computer into hibernation yesterday morning using the crescent moon key on the keyboard and it seemed to do it with no problem. I then turned off the UPS feeding the system. I did not try to use the computer yesterday evening. I have a user password on the account and it is set to not be needed when coming out of hibernation. I turned on the computer this morning and instead of resuming where it had left off yesterday, it was showing the Windows 7 user selection screen. It had buttons for my wife's and daughter's user accounts but not my account. I selected to restart the computer and the same thing happened.

I had previously set up the user accounts for my wife and daughter without passwords just in case they ever had a need to use the computer. As far as I know, neither one of them had ever done so since we had the computer. I was able to log in using my wife's account without any problems. I then opened the user accounts control panel and it showed my wife's account. I clicked on the link to manage another account, a pop-up screen opened asking for an admin account password but did not show any kind of box to enter it and the "OK" button was dimmed. I tried typing my password anyway and nothing showed on the screen and the OK button stayed dimmed. I closed the pop-up screen and then closed the control panel.

A few seconds after closing the control panel, I got a pop-up stating that the HP Assistant program could not start because it was all ready running for another user. This makes me think that my account is still open and running in the background but Windows will not let me get to it. Since I had to leave for work soon, I had Windows shut down.

Any suggestions as to what I should try to do to get back into my account when I get home this evening?

I had thought I had Windows set to download any updates but to ask before installing them. I am running the McAfee security bundle that comes with our AT&T DSL service.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Chuck, I have had no experience with Win7. Does it still have the ability to do a System Restore back to a recent Restore Point? Just a SWAG ...

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It seems to be stuck in some form of limbo in your account. When you were in your wife's account, did you try to log off and see if you were offered your own?

So long as you have your W7 DVD with a StartUp Repair option, it probably isn't too dangerous to power down with the off switch and restart into Safe Mode for a more gentle restart - just in case.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Mark,
    I can not run System Restore from my wife's account. I get the User Account Control pop-up asking for an adminsitrator password. However, there is no text box showing to enter my ay account password.

Saga Lout,
    I tried logging out and switch user. In both cases I can only choose between my wife's and daughter's accounts.

The computer did not come with any recovery DVDs or CDs but it did allow me to burn my own set (which I did). It also has the option to restore from a separete recovery partition on the main HD. I am not sure if either the burned discs or the partition have any Repair options.

I am running HP's "Tune Up" diagnostic and it is now scanning the system for any hardware and software problems. I may see what my repair / restore options are if the tune up does not fix anything.

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I'm sure you know that would be destructive as far as the personal files are concerned and that your wife's account won't allow your User files to be taken out.. A borrowed DVD would have the StartUp Repair option but I'm unsure as to how far into the process StartUp is considered to be. You need to go all the way to winlogonui and that seems to be damaged. If the HP utility can do nothin, I think you're up for a power down and a prayer.

6. gypsygrace

gypsygrace

Chuck, did you get my pm? Did you try safe mode?

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    HI Grace.

I was able to start in safe mode but the login for my account was not there. There was a default Admin account that I could log into. That let me set up a new "Chuck2" account with full admin rights. All of the folders and files for my original "Chuck" user name on both the C: and external USB drive are all there but I do not have access to them unless I go though a take ownership routine.

Is there a way I can make my new account have all the accress rights as the original without having to go through individual processes of taking ownership?

8. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Using the new account, do you see your profile for the old account? I don't know exactly where they'd be in Win7 ...

9. gypsygrace

gypsygrace

I'm not positive. Set as you are I've read that some still have trouble downloading or updating some apps.

Taking ownership may be the only way.

10. gypsygrace

gypsygrace

Glad to hear. Good luck.

11. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    My old account has shown up again and is looking and functioning like it never disappeared.

Give me some time to write up what I did later this evening and I will then post them and mark this beast as solved.

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    A better title for this post may be how my problem fixed itself ...

Once I had my new account up and running, I downloaded and installed the free version of Malwarebytes as suggested by gypsygrace. A standard scan came back clean. I also looked into system restore but the only point listed was from January 21, which may have been after the problem started.

After taking ownership of a few folders, I was curious if there was some way to import or merge my old profile information (if it still existed) with my newly created profile. I found an old TSG thread where another member was asking about merging profiles. I decided to try the suggestion by Mumbodog in the last post of the the thread but I first wanted to see if my old profile did still exist. I tried the first four steps of their post.

I was able to see both my original and missing Chuck profile and my new Chuck2 profile. I decided to heed the warning about creating a test profile as I did not want to screw up my working Chuck2 account. I closed the System Settings screen and created a new ChuckRecover account with full admin privileges.

I went back to the System Settings / User Profile screen but did not see the new account. I thought that maybe I needed to restart my computer to update the profile list. I restarted and got the standard Windows log in screen. It showed my Chuck2 account as well as my wife's and daughter's accounts. It did not show ChuckRecover. However, the last account listed on the right was Chuck, shown as a Guest account with password (is there such a thing?).

I logged in as Chuck2 and opened the user accounts control panel. My original Chuck account was now showing up. I changed it to an Admin account and logged out. I was then able to log in as Chuck and everything looks to be back to normal.

I am marking this "SOLVED" but am willing to let some Windows 7 MVP explain what the heck happened.

EDIT: I am suspecting that I may have been the victim of a "perfect storm". McAfee, Windows Update and HP Assistant may have gotten in each other's way checking for and downloading updates. The HP Assistant is still stalling on checking for updates.

13. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I'm pleased to see you've fixed it and I'm definitely bookmarking this thread for future reference.

Your problem has reinforced my long held belief that Hibernation can be a dangerous state to be in and I'm sure you're right about the perfect storm. However, that may have blown over if Hibernation hadn't cut in to add to the mix.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice