1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Account restrictions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by techy689, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

Anyone know of any good User Account Restriction Software such as Windows SteadyState or XP Security Console that is known to be very stable?

2. The Hound

The Hound

I'm still running the older Microsoft Shared Computer Tookit on 6 machines--it's a bit of a pain to set up, but I've had no stability issues with it in almost two years. SteadyState is supposed to be a more stable, more friendly version of that package--I've not tried it yet, but there are three new Dells about to test-drive it.

I see you're running Vista, so I can't tell you how that would go there...

3. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

Well it is going to be used for an XP machine, however, I have faced many different issues on many machines using both the Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit as well as SteadyState. Some issues include accounts not being able to log in and printer drivers not loading.

4. The Hound

The Hound

They do say that you should set up the printers before locking down the profile.

I had one machine with repeated problems with a corrupted (restricted) user profile.
    I simply created a new one, then locked it down like the old one, and deleted the corrupted profile.

>>Edit: My application is for semi-public computers without need for individual profiles...The single restricted user-profile configuration probably saves me a ton of headaches, but I can see how it wouldn't work in other situations.

5. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

alright, now there is a backup of a certain database done daily. If I keep that file on the desktop and tell them to only replace that file will Windows SteadyState notice that the file has been changed and revert to the old save?

Thanks... I have never tried to lock the profile but if you recommend it I will try it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice