1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acer Aspire 1800 screen garbled after BIOS update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by omega4ever, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. omega4ever

omega4ever Thread Starter

Good day Sirs,
    I recently updated an ACER aspire 1800 BIOS (used the 1.17 update). The update was carried out from within Windows XP and after it completed the system was rebooted.
    The system started with thick white vertical bars and black horizontal bars making it difficult to read or see what's on the screen properly.
    From my search on the Net, it seems I should have used the 2.7 BIOS update instead.
    Someone (spock028) managed to update his BIOS with the correct version despite not being able to see what's on the screen.
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/603868-acer-aspire-1800-a.html

I have created the Phoenix Crises Recovery disk (using a 80GB USB HDD, I created a 4GB partition, set it active and used this partition). I renamed the BIOS file to BIOS.WPH.
    I managed to enable the option F12 (select boot device)

Unfortunately, since after I press F12 during boot and the boot option screen comes up, I can't see the options because the screen is garbled, I find it difficult to boot from the USB HDD)
    I also tried the auto-option (pressing Fn+Esx, Fn+B, Winkey+B) during boot but that didn't work.

I am assuming the USB HDD is on the list that pops up.
    I have tried an external monitor and the display is garbled as well.

Please can someone kindly give me the exact set of keys to press after pressing F12 when the boot option screen comes up to select the option to boot from the USB HDD?)

I have included an autoexec.bat file on the HDD that should run the flash utility automatically if I can get the system to boot from the USB HDD.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

2. omega4ever

By the way, I also created a bootable DVD with the BIOS on it. If someone can give me the exact sequence of keys to press to activate booting from CD (and also changing the boot order so CD is on top) from the moment F2 is pressed and the BIOS config screen comes up. It would be appreciated. Thanks.

3. omega4ever

Thanks All. I was able to resolve it finally. I used PXE to boot via memdisk and a Windows 98 DOS disk image with the BIOS file on it and an autoexec.bat file with the command to flash the BIOS in it.
    I followed the instructions at the link below and supplied my own DOS image (edited a diskette image downloaded from allbootdisks.com. Mounted it using VFD, added the flash executable and the BIOS update to it. Configured tftpd32 as DHCP server and also TFTP server. I noticed that if I leave the system long enough, I could decipher the text on the screen partially - i.e., the refresh constructs some of the pixels such that someone with an idea of what the text should be may be able to "see" them.
    Pressed F12, pressed ENTER - I had moved the LAN up the list in the BIOS, but even without this one could go by trial and error on the F12 screen, by going down the list and rebooting if it's not the proper option)
    There are several related descriptions on the web, but the main one I used is the link below. Thanks.
    http://www.freewarereview.info/2007...the_pxe_bios_network_boot_feature_within.html

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You did well to fix it that way, thanks for sharing your solution.

5. TECHMAN123

TECHMAN123

omega4ever, please can you kindly provide a download link for your custom made recovery disk. I've got a Acer Aspire 1800 that i'm struggling to fix. Tried the crisis recovery tool but can't make any use of what I can see on screen and also tried booting from usb flash and usb floppy using a combination of keys but with no success.

Your my last hope!!!

6. omega4ever

Hi Techman,
    Apologies. I haven't logged into my mail account for a while and I just saw your mail of 10/09/2011.
    I don't have the disk image again but I can always re-create it if you still need it? Do you?

Regards,

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice