1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acer Aspire 4720Z Keyboard Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zoom_Stat21, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zoom_Stat21

Zoom_Stat21 Thread Starter

Hello , members

I am working on a "Acer Aspire 4720Z " , and I have been looking continuously for a solution or opinion that may be able solver my conundrum.

The issue discription is simple : Keyboard Failure

I'm able to type in the HardDrive Password or enter the bios , then I am also able to type in the users password for Windows Login This issue only seems to effect the keyboard after booting into the users account and ONLY effects the keyboard not the track pad.
    I have reseating things such as the Memory and d/cing the Battery Pack for a set number of seconds while holding the power button to do a "Hardware Reset" to no avail .

I have found these possible solutions but I would like it if someone could narrow the list or help me find the real issue here.

Here are a few things I have came across :

- Entire Keyboard Replacement (??)
    - Faulty North Bridge (??)
    - Substituting An External Keyboard (Tryed)Failed
    -Re-Image the machine(??)
    -Hard Drive Failure (??)
    -D/c Battery / Holding Power Button for 20s to do a complete Hardware Restore (Tryed)Failed

Any help would be much appreciated as always guys .:)

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Are you seeing the message "Keyboard Failure" at some point after logging in? Or it just fails to work? At all?

Can you log in with another account/profile?

3. Zoom_Stat21

No keyboard Failure Errors or Indication for a failure via messages .
    After logging on in the Users Only account in regular or safe-mode I am only able to use the keyboard at the login screen where you type the users Password. After that it fails to work any way.
    I also have tryed uninstalling and reinstalling the default Driver for the keyboard.

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Can you get into the local administrator's account?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the keyboard only stops working after logging in then I would strongly think its a software/Windows problem and not a hardware failure - otherwise you wouldn't be able to use it for all the passwords you type. And since an external keyboard does the same thing that too suggests a software issue.

Try doing a virus or malware scan, also check for any errors in Device Manager or try System Restore; all can be done using a mouse. You can also use the onscreen keyboard that comes with Windows under accessibility options if you need to type anything.

A repair install or factory image restore could be your last resorts.

6. Zoom_Stat21

Yes.

Thanks for the suggestions Triple6 ;)
    When I return on Monday I will do a few deep scans , and as a precaution I asked the user kindly to bring any system restore disks that are available with their computer.

Thanks you for the response.

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Does it do the same thing when logged in as administrator?

8. Zoom_Stat21

The exact same event occurs . Loss of keyboard function.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Acer's usually have a recovery partition, to access it press ALT + F10 during the Acer splash screen. It can also be accessed from within Windows from the Acer eRecovery under the Acer start menu folder.

10. Zoom_Stat21

That was it. Thanks for all of the help Triple6 , with your help the recovery partition was able to bring back life to the keyboard .

As always ,
    Thanks
    -James

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/825442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice