1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acer Aspire 5000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ulanda, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ulanda

Ulanda Thread Starter

Help... My Acer Aspire 5000 will not boot at all. It is 4Yrs old with Windows XP. It worked fine earlier. I left it on and went to bed, when i got up it was black screen so I turned it off and now it will not boot at all.
    I have tried removing battery, checked ram and hd for proper connection and still get nothing... This one has me stumped, Can anyone provide any suggestions?
    Thank you in advance for the help.

2. Sponsor

3. sludge3000

sludge3000

Does the system even start boot or does the system not have power? If not power try replacing the power cable as the fuse in the plug might have blown. Try a different power socket in a different room or test a known working device in that socket. If you find no fault with the cables to this point then it will either be your motherboard or PSU.

4. Ulanda

Ulanda Thread Starter

Thank you for your timely response. It seems to power up but there is no display to check anything else. Its just black.

5. sludge3000

sludge3000

Does it sound like it's booting up i.e. fan's whur at the start then settle followed by your HDD's spinning?

Does your monitor stay completly black or display 'No video input' or similar?

6. Ulanda

Ulanda Thread Starter

It tries to boot, then stops... fan starts, hd starts, screens stays black.
    It loaded once when I had the back off but when I turned it right side up screen went black again.
    I just checked the HD and It makes a grinding noise, spins for a couple seconds then stops. I'm thinking the hd has failed.

7. sludge3000

sludge3000

Do the fans and HDD continue running?
    From that extra info on your last entry it could be a lose connection somewhere. Is it still under warranty? You may need to re-seat the connection for the screen but as this is a laptop this is often quite difficult and fiddly and you'll normaly put it back together and have a couple of screws left over. If it is still under warranty or you know someone in a repair centre it would be worth asking them to do it.

8. Ulanda

Ulanda Thread Starter

Thank you for your help, I had the hd tested and it's ok. I think that the motherboard got spiked last night( we had a storm here), so it probably needs to be replaced and I am probably going to get a new laptop.I think we can put this issue to rest now.

Again, thank you so much for your help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/841170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice