1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acer Aspire 5670 (5672WLMi)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mavengroup, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mavengroup

mavengroup Thread Starter

Have an Acer Aspire 5670. Blank drive with fresh Windows 7 32bit installed (processor does not support 64bit)

Here is the problem I am having....

Computer will randomly "turn-off". This is a complete power off to a charging state. This will happen randomly within 1-15 minutes after boot. There are no error messages and nothing in the Windows Event log regarding the issues.

Here is what I have done....

1. Full Hard Disk Drive scan for bad sectors, etc. All good.
    2. Full memory scan (memtest86) for 4 hours. All good.
    3. Cooling fans are spinning. I have pulled the bottom of the machine apart and cleaned everything up. When I have the system running in Windows 7 I check the temps for MB, HDD, etc. and all look good.
    4. No malware. Fresh Windows 7 install.
    5. I have tried Acer BIOS versions 3239 and 3236. I could not find anything newer.
    6. I have used DriverMax to update to the latest drivers I could find (while I could keep the machine running). Windows Update as well.
    7. The AC Adapter is providing power and the computer is reporting that it is fully charged and receiving power. (I am going to try to monkey with it without the battery tomorrow).
    8. Everything that I can get to looks good to go (without full dis-assembly).

Looking for what you would do next?!

I appreciate any help.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When I check the specs on that laptop, win7 is NOT listed as a supported os. Does this same problem exist when you use a supported os ie xp or vista?

Next does this same thing happen if you boot from a linux live type CD? This will tell you very quickly if you have a hardware problem or a software problem. If linux does the same thing, with the battery pulled, I would tend to think you have a failing mb and it would NOT be worth attempting to repair the laptop.

Use any of the linux live type CDs for this test. I use parted magic however any live CD would be fine.
    http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

3. mavengroup

It is true that Windows 7 is not supported by the manufacturer, but the system specs are supported by Windows 7 (chipset, video, etc.)

Fixed the issue with some new Thermal Paste (although the system temps did not change) and a BIOS I found on the Acer Europe support site.

I really appreciate the feedback and your ideas!

4. conyeje2

conyeje2

Hey John! I'm soo glad I ran into your post. I also use an Acer Aspire 5670 on a regular basis. I'm glad you were able to fix your problem. I bought my Acer with xp installed, and ran the windows 7 beta, release client, and full version and they all ran stable without any hiccups. I am currently running the windows 8 developer preview. The only issue I've had with the W8DP is that for some reason, when I first started using it, hibernating the system would cause it to crash. The problem later worsened somehow, where now when I put the computer to sleep, hibernate, shutdown, or believe it or not, restart, it crashes and eventually restarts, haha. I'm pretty sure it's just a glitch from my install, or a glitch with the DP, which is understandable with this os barely being in an alpha stage, and that things will work more smoothly in the Windows 8 beta.

I'm curious. With your Acer, have you ever had any problems with your webcam? I managed to break my webcam before i ever got to use it, rotating it the dreaded 360 degrees that it was never meant to rotate. And do you know of any possible fixes for the webcam for this model. Would webcams from other models work as a replacement for this one? Finally, have you found a way to force your optical drive to boot cds, and does a driver for the optical drive exist anywhere on the web for download. Whether you have any of these answers or not, i'm glad to run into someone still using this very model laptop, as it has done a decent job surviving these advances in technology and keeping up with the latest operating systems. It still gets hot as balls, but it sure is a survivor!

5. mavengroup

conyeje2,

I would suspect due to the nature of the screen and webcam on this model, you would need to find the same model webcam to get it to work. If you are skilled enough, you might try disassembly of the the LCD housing as I am willing to be you only have some severed wires which you may be able to repair (due to the 360 spin).

You should not need an optical drive "driver" as they should be built into the OS.

You can force the optical drive to be the boot device by changing the boot order int he BIOS. Hit F2 on boot to get into the BIOS. Be careful in there as you do not want to change most things.

Hope this helps.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice