1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acer Aspire 5736Z-4790..hit a wall

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zuggel, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zuggel

Zuggel Thread Starter

I am working on repairing a Acer Aspire 5736Z-4790. It was given to me after literally hitting a wall :D. from a first visual inspection it has a cracked lcd and the dvd drive cover is missing. There are also several scratches that are inconsequential.

Upon further inspection, the right side usb ports did not work and the display does come up on an external monitor. The dvd drive, while showing up in the bios and having power, is not able to boot windows7. I am assuming buy the few noises that it makes and the lack of spinning sound that it is damaged.

After taking it partially apart, the right side usb ports' cable was not plugged in...easy fix.

LCD, backlight works, it is just really really cracked up, new monitor being ordered soon.

DVD, figure i'm going to just replace it.

My question is regarding the DVD drive. It's a sata drive, so I am assuming that any sata drive will fit and plug into that area (ie are these standard sizes, or different depending on laptop/dvd manufacture)?

Also, for the external side of the drive, are these standard also or do I need to look for a similar/same model for it to set flush with the case.

Laptop with dvd rom pictured

[​IMG]

What i'm assuming my dvd rom looked like since i am missing the black piece that says dvdrom etc on it.

[​IMG]Not sure if i can only attach one picture, but here is a link to the dvd rom image
    http://www.geeks.com/largePic_All.asp?InvtId=BLK-GT32N-DO-R&Pic=BLK-GT32N-DO-R-unit.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can get a brand new or refurbished laptop with a warranty for $300. How much money are you going to spend trying to fix something you know has been significantly physically damaged?

3. Zuggel

Zuggel Thread Starter

It will only be around $60, there is an lcd on ebay for $43 (which i apparently just bought via make an offer) and a dvd rom (assuming it would work) for $15.

I actually don't even need it, since I just got my laptop fixed, but for $60 it might be a new laptop for my 2.5 year old or I could probably sell it for more than I would have into it....plus there is always the fun of fixing it!

4. Zuggel

Zuggel Thread Starter

All fixed. It ended up costing me around $65. $43 for the screen, $11 for a dvd burner and $11 for a new plug.

5. Zuggel

Zuggel Thread Starter

Oh, on a related note, i just ordered a cheap dvd burner since the model I removed from the system was going for $50. The dvd part fits and works fine, but the cover is a bit different.

If i had it to do again, i think I would leave the original non-functioning drive in there and order an external drive since it probably would have only cost a few dollars more.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice