1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: acer aspire 5742 - canom 5250 wifi

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mullie, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dai

dai

that is your ethernet[nic] card

it is what that plugs into that you need to post

there are a number of problems seen reported when searching mainly about the wireless not working the solutions found were to reinstall the driver

listed here

http://mumtoz-1.net/Acer_Nplify_802.11b_G_N_Driver.php

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

I hope that the following will provide some clarity.

I think that the 802.11 b/g/n refers to the wireless network [ aka wi fi ] electronics built into the computer; same for the Atheros ar5b97.

Here's Acer's Support page for the Aspire 5742
    http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/2010/Acer/Aspire/Aspire5742/Aspire5742sp2.shtml

This
    would be the ethernet [ aka nic, which means, Mullie, network interface card ]. This is the component into which an ethernet cable plugs.

RF123

3. mullie

mullie Thread Starter

I have no external card

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Not an external card; a port on the side of the computer into which an ethernet cable would plug.

Check your computer manufacturer's product information page for a setup manual or user's guide.

RF123

5. dai

dai

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

This is Acer's Support page for you laptop, if your laptop is an Acer 4572.

http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=3920

These are the support document categories from Acer.
    http://support.acer.com/us/en/acerpanam/notebook/2011/Acer/Aspire/Aspire4752G/Aspire4752Gnv.shtml

I found no downloads there.

Using a search engine, I found
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/3900302/Acers-Aspire-Series-Users-Guide

Please see the attached .jpg for a view of the left side of an Acer Aspire 4572. As noted on the .jpg, #4 is the ethernet port for an Acer Aspire 4572.

RF123

Attached Files:

7. mullie

mullie Thread Starter

HI are you saying that although i have an Atheros ar5b97 wireless network adapter built in I will still have to have an external wifi ?? i know if i wish to connect internet I can connect through a modem with the Ethernet cable I have internet set up through my phone plugged into my computer all I wish to do is get the Atheros ar5b97 wireless network adapter which is built in to connect to my wifi printer
    I do not understand why the Ethernet port is is impotent when my wifi adapter is Built in and is receiving the neighbors signal but not the printer and the same with the printer.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

No.

You can connect to the internet using EITHER your computer's wi fi electronics, or the ethernet / network electronics. If you use the ethernet, you will need a network cable; Cat 5; length depends upon your needs.

The signal comes to your from your ISP [ or someone's ISP ] [ internet service provider ].

The signal from the ISP frequently comes in via cable [ DSL, co axial, or ethernet ]. The ISP will require the internet customer to have a box, generally a modem. Some times, you can combine the modem with a router. A router lets you have more than 1 simultaneous internet connection.

If you want to connect wirelessly, your router or modem needs to have wireless capability.

If you want to connect to the printer, you can do so wirelessly if AND ONLY IF:
    1. the printer has wireless capability;
    2. YOU have a wireless network that is independent from your neighbor's wireless internet connection.

This forum's rules will not permit us to help you if you are using your neighbor's wireless signal without the neighbor's permission.

The ethernet is important because when configuring a wireless network for the 1st time, a connection via ethernet is required.

RF123

9. mullie

mullie Thread Starter

I connect to the internet through my Mobile phone
    I only mention the neighbors system as I live in flats and on the wireless network I can view 5 connections which I do not wish to connect to I only mention them because I presume if I can vuew them my Atheros ar5b97 wireless network adapter must be working ok
    the canon 5250 has wifi but will not allow adhock connection only WPS OR WCN connection
    so to make this connection wps Wcn will I have to purchase something other then just using my built in wireless Network Connection

10. mullie

mullie Thread Starter

I connect to the internet through my Mobile phone
    I only mention the neighbors system as I live in flats and on the wireless network I can view 5 connections which I do not wish to connect to I only mention them because I presume if I can vuew them my Atheros ar5b97 wireless network adapter must be working ok
    the canon 5250 has wifi but will not allow adhock connection only WPS OR WCN connection
    so to make this connection wps Wcn will I have to purchase something other then just using my built in wireless Network Connection

Mullie

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

Thanks for the information.

Does that mean that you connect your phone physically, or via WI FI? I know someone who has a contract with a company that provides service to cell phones & to computers. The computer has a WI FI device inserted into the USB [ probably USB 3 ] port.

Yes. I agree with your assessment.

12. mullie

mullie Thread Starter

Hi
    i connect through my mobile with the iohone cable into one of the usb ports
    Mullie

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

Mullie:
    Thanks.

You will need a wireless router to connect your Acer to a printer. You can use wi fi or ethernet.

RF123

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

Dear mullie:
    If your Canon printer's wi fi electronics will communicate with your neighbor's wi fi network, you can theoreticaly configure your printer to communicate with your Aspire.
    If this is your Canon 5230, http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010889.asp, please read about their wireless setup tool.

If that is not your device, using your favorite search engine [ Yahoo, Bing, Google, other ], copy this set of words & paste them into your search engine's search area.
    canon "wi fi" OR wireless .
    Insert your Canon's model # between canon & "wi fi"

RF123

15. mullie

mullie Thread Starter

well after talking to canon again it transpires that you have to have a separate router and cannot connect directly

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice