1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acer Aspire Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Liz, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Liz

Liz Thread Starter

I put my computer into the shop for a diagnostic test and I was told the motherboard was fried. Of course the warranty is up and I didn't get the extended warranty because it was so expensive. I have never heard of a motherboard going bad after a year and a half. Anyway, is it worth replacing? I have looked around and they aren't cheap. I have never had a motherboard fry and I have had quite a few computers. One of my computers is 6 years old and still going strong. Of course the Acer was my newest computer and I loved it because it was a notebook with a huge screen. I am not happy...

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If it's a laptop, only the exact same make and model motherboard will fit. If the cost of the motherboard and the labor to replace it is more than half the value of a new laptop, I'd suggest a new laptop.

Motherboards fail. Computer components fail. It happens. Sometimes parts run for 10 years. One computer's longevity has nothing to do with another's.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Does the laptop show any signs of life, like lights coming on or noise from the fan or hard drive ?

4. Liz

Liz Thread Starter

The battery and electric lights are lit, the fan works and the dvd drive engages. There is nothing else happening so the computer does not boot. I gave it to a tech that works out of her house and she did a diagnostic test and said it was the
    motherboard. I thought maybe it was the bios, but she tested the computer and she is more informed than I.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Generally it is not worth repairing a laptop with a new board. The replacement board and labor will cost just about as much as a new laptop.

FWIW acer is pretty low quality. If you purchase another laptop, I would go with either a dell or an asus laptop. Both are of decent quality [far above acer]

6. Liz

Liz Thread Starter

When I was scouting around for a computer the Acer Aspire 7551 received very good reviews. I do have a mac and an ancient desktop, but I want another laptop. I have heard good things about the asus and mixed reviews on dell. Any particular laptop model that you would suggest? Thank you for your help...

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice