1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acer Aspire One, works fine, screen is black

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyclemut, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyclemut

Cyclemut Thread Starter

I've gone through the usual searches, but the one thing that is different here is that the netbook still works. I can hold a mini-mag lite up to the screen and it everything is still working.

I did try to update the bios, I don't know which version I have, but I figured it couldn't hurt. My battery is also stuck in the "won't charge because I let it go down too far" status. The new bios was supposed to fix that as well. New version is 3310. I made a bootable flash drive (I think, I'm not sure if I did it correctly as I've never done that before) and attempted to update the bios. It's not doing what Acer and just about everyone else with a how-to says it should be doing.

After about 30 seconds, it just stops booting and starts. Perhaps it had updated the bios, I'm not sure.

But like I said, the computer is still working fine, just no backlighting on the screen so that you can see it. Make sense?

Anything I can do to see if there's just a loose connection or a solder joint I can redo? Thanks!

2. Cyclemut

Cyclemut Thread Starter

Sorry, forgot for mention, Aspire AOA 150

3. Cyclemut

Cyclemut Thread Starter

OK, putting this as solved, fixed it myself.

For future....whatevers.

I took the screen trim off (6 #0 phillips screws), then removed the screen itself (4 more #0 screws). I had to disconnect the microphone connector and the webcam connector in order to accomplish this as they wiring for these are taped to the back of the screen.

I gently laid the screen on to the keyboard and inspected the connector for the screen. I found that one side of the connector was not all of the way on. I un-taped the clear plastic connector handle and was able to seat the connector fully. I taped the handle back down and reinstalled the screen. Plugging the netbook back into the a/c cable and testing revealed that the screen functioned normally. Installation of the screen trim was easy.

The entire process, with never having one of them apart before (actually, never having taken apart a laptop of any sort apart) took about 1/2 hour.

Knowing that the computer actually worked, not just taking the google results for the Aspire One Black Screen of Death was the key (in my book, but I'm humble!).

This place still rocks, even though I didn't get any responses. My other problems with my other laptop met with expert advise. Awesome!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/891488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice