1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acer Aspire z5700 can't find drives at setup

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bowmar, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bowmar

bowmar Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
    Got a 2nd hand Aspire z5700 all-in-one computer.
    Purchased and tried to install Windows 8 and at the point where you setup drives/partitions it says it can't find driver/drives.
    Tried acer website (No drivers for this only chipset which doesn't work) and Intel AHCI Sata drivers and although these show in list them of being compatible with hardware, It then tells me that it can't find any drives.
    Help !
    I can't even go back to Windows 7 Home Premium as it now reports same issue, can't seem to find any assistance from Acer after 2 days of searching.
    Any assistance would be very much appreciated !

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure the hard drive works in the laptop? Does it get detected and displayed properly in the BIOS?

3. bowmar

bowmar Thread Starter

Hi There,
    Yes its in BIOS and was working prior to formatting hard drive to install Windows 8.
    Problem seems to be either SATA Controller drivers, Windows 8 Does not have them, so it gives you choice to browse to Motherboard CD which I don't have.
    Cheers

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most systems will give you options in the BIOS to set the SATA controller mode, what is the SATA controller currently set too? Generally there will be a AHCI, RAID, and IDE but they could be called Native(AHCI) or Legacy Mode(IDE).

Also make sure the hard drive is listed in the boot order otherwise Windows may not allow installing to it.

5. bowmar

bowmar Thread Starter

Yeah tried switching BIOS to AHCI and IDE, No difference.
    If I boot using Hiren's and use Seagate Tools to check drive it finds it and is able to test.
    Problem is on loading windows, there are no drivers for SATA Controller it appears.
    Can't seem to find what drivers are required.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. bowmar

bowmar Thread Starter

Many thanks Triple6, this appears to have done the trick.
    Have tried 14/15 driver packs from Intel site without joy, and had pulled out what little hair I had left.
    Best wishes for 2013 to you.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Awesome and thanks (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice