1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acer Extensa 4630Z - Sound stopped working!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by akula2, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akula2

akula2 Thread Starter

Hello,

I wanted to upgrade the drivers of my Moms Laptop which is 2 year old. Buy holiday gone haywire! Here's what I did:

1) Uninstalled all Drivers from Windows XP Add/Remove
    2) Flash the BIOS successfully to 2.4 version. Reboot to Windows was normal.
    3) From the regional Acer website, I downloaded all drivers. These are the driver list for info (not download this site):

http://www.laptopdriversfreedownlo [...] 32bit.html

4) I started with Chipset, then Video, Network, Sound, and last one was Bluetooth.

Problems:

a) Realtek Sound doesn't show up in the Device Manager (sound device disable).
    a) MODEM driver doesn't install (no idea why).

NOTE: before I fiddled with this Laptop, there were no problems (a) and (b) at all.

Now I'm bewildered because I've played with dozens of Laptops (Windows/Linux/Mac) but never encountered such a stubborn problem [​IMG] (It was a lesson learned - never be too confident!!)

I'm not clear where I gone wrong? Assuming, does Acer laptops need drivers to be installed in a particular order? Sorry I'm somewhat new to this make.

Looking forward for your inputs.

Big thanks.

2. nikomaster

nikomaster

Make sure these drivers you downloaded are the correct drivers. Sometimes the website show you the drivers for different families on the same page.

3. akula2

akula2 Thread Starter

I've downloaded from the Acer website, entire pack.

Perhaps should I uninstall all drivers and start again by re-installing only Chipset, Video and Sound drivers?

If still negative, then should I remove the Sound drivers from Device Manager, then reboot, and choose the Sound drivers manually?

4. akula2

akula2 Thread Starter

As the last resort, what if I go for a "Repair Installation" because I guess "Recovery Console" doesn't help.

- will there be any problem? I reckon existing data will be intact except Windows folder and other system files will be deleted and re-installed. Isn't it?
    - this laptop has AHCI/SATA HDD, I need to flag 'IDE' mode in BIOS because I've no external Floppy drive. Later AHCI support could be added. I never tried slip-streaming this driver into XP CD. Any pointers?

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you haven't already install all the windows updates. Then go to the updates site in IE and do a Custom search and see if it offers a sound driver.

6. akula2

akula2 Thread Starter

I solved the problem without any repair/re-install of Windows.

Trust me, it was one of the most patching annoyances...huh!!

Culprit is a small hotfix (not even 1MB!) from Microsoft, which blew away all the pain in my head:

Before installing Audio or MODEM driver, one *must* patch Windows XP SP3 with:

Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

Note: Actually I overlooked Acer-supplied Realtek Audio pack. However I think it's not my fault because that hot fix is hidden inside the Realtek folder (kinda slip-streamed it!). Had I inspected Realtek folder, I would have saved from this hell.

Anyway, happy ending :)

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Glad it's working.

8. akula2

akula2 Thread Starter

Yes, it's working like a charm. Earlier my parents enjoyed video chat with my neice on Skype. I was really like, what the hell was happening? It's OK. Sometimes weird things happen with Hardware/Software.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice