1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acer Extensa 5220 Wireless "Adapter Acquiring Address" horror.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JKarlos, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JKarlos

JKarlos Thread Starter

I was presented with an issue late last week, which had to do with wireless connectivity on an Acer Extensa 5220 Laptop running Windows XP Professional.

While ethernet connections work perfectly, whenever I attempt to connect to the wireless network my client has in his house, it stalls at "Acquiring Network Address".

I've logged into the router from another machine in the house, and I can see that the router is configured to run DHCP, and DHCP is indeed working. (It lists the Acer laptop, and specifies the IP leased to the Acer laptop.)

A little bit of history: This machine was recently updated to Service Pack 3. I was able to log onto the wireless network AFTER updating it to Service Pack 3, and copied files across the wireless network too. (possibly before rebooting though, can't recall)

I've rebooted the router, and it made no difference. This router has allowed for a PPPoE connection to be established over wireless by the machine in question in the past.

I've since tried the following suggestions made by JohnWill in another post:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Over and above this, I've attempted to work through the network configuration wizard, I've attempted to assign the wireless adapter an ip on the correct IP range. (It can't ping any of the machines in this case, even though the machines are set to reply to pings, and can be pinged when connected via ethernet.)

I've updated the Wireless drivers to two different sets of Broadcom drivers off the Acer site, to no avail. I've even subsequently rolled back to Service Pack 2, and then attempted to reinstall both sets of drivers to no avail.

At this point, I'm sorely tempted to back up everything on the machine and reload from the recovery partition, but only want to look at attempting this as a last resort.

I do also know that they've had issues with the wireless from day one, though, and have had a couple of teething pains with it when I've been there. I honestly think it's probably at least in part to the wireless hardware in this specific laptop being a bit of a pain in the backside.

Any help, suggestions, and the like to try over and above what I've mentioned here would have me ecstatic. Thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The wireless driver should be the latest one from Acer's web site. Disable encryption on the router and for a dynamic connection by ethernet and attempted by wireless please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
    -----------------------------------------

Service Pack 2 and Service Pack 3 imply XP, so you may want to try ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. JKarlos

JKarlos Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet.

As mentioned in my post above, this is a Windows XP machine, which was running Service Pack 3, which I rolled back to Service Pack 3. As mentioned in my post, I've tried the steps you've specified I should try as mentioned by JohnWill. I think I even copy/pasted the exact same snippet from his post that you did. :)

I don't have access to this laptop short of driving to my client (tech-support at home), but giving you the results on an IPCONFIG /ALL won't really give you much info. When attempting to acquire a network address though, the info was left blank, in much the way it would had it not negotiated the leasing of a DHCP ip, and set it as necessary. As said, I did manually give it an IP on the correct range, which still left it unable to ping the other computers on the network.

I haven't actually tried disabling encryption on the router, as this machine has connected to the router before, without hassles, so that possibly bears doing. I have, however, rebooted the router, and have noticed it "lease" an IP for the wireless adapter AFTER being rebooted. It definitely seems to me that it's making it past the part where it connects to the router.

While it bears me giving turning encryption off a shot and seeing what happens, I don't think this will solve the problem of the Acer Wireless adapter not successfully setting the ip it leases from the router.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I missed your statement of XP. :( You posted the repairs for Vista; I posted the ones for XP. :) Now that we're more or less even on these trivialities ...

Sometimes it doesn't. Often it answers a whole bunch of questions we might not have asked. Sometimes it clearly indicates the problem and solution.

If this is an instance of the not uncommon problem of a secured router and adapter getting "out of sync" it is the easiest and quickest and sometimes the only fix.

5. JKarlos

JKarlos Thread Starter

My bad, I missed the difference between the directions I tried, and those you listed. :)

I'll be in a position to run the following on said laptop this evening, as well as disabling the encryption and attempting to connect thereafter. Barring any joy, I'll post the IPCONFIG results here.

I've also made some arrangements to take said laptop away, and test the wireless AP with a different router, as well as another laptop with the router in question.

Thanks for the help.

Will post further findings/results here, hopefully with some sort of a fix.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good luck. Also consider any non-Windows firewall (security suite). Some of them, in particular ZoneAlarm, tend to get all tangled up on some updates (especially service packs) and have to be uninstalled (and then reinstalled if desired).

7. JKarlos

JKarlos Thread Starter

I started off by attempting the following, followed by a reboot:

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

I had no luck with this, so I turned off security on the wireless, only to experience what struck me as the oddest behaviour I've seen in Windows Wireless Network Manager ever. In spite of being told I was "not connected", after attempting to connect to the network, I could ping machines on the ip range, and utilise PPPoE.

Thereafter, after turning on security again, things worked fine. Much appreciated on the help side of things TerryNet.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. Glad it worked out. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/825952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice