1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acer freezes on Windows 7 startup and HDD password frozen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by spida, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spida

spida Thread Starter

ARGH!
    My wife and I both own ACER Aspire 5741G laptops. Recently my wifes laptop has failed startup going straight to the 'start in repair mode' / 'Start Windows normally' option saying 'Windows failed to start'. (The most that happens is the fan starts up and the 4 coloured dots form into the windows logo then it freezes). I have followed the 'prompts' and found that neither the Auto fix OR Restore point fix will work.
    After some time I receive a message stating that Windows cannot repair this computer automatically! A second window then opens up labeled 'Startup repair' and offers to sent the information to Microsoft!?! the error report reads as follows:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
    Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature 03: unknown
    Problem Signature 04: 41
    Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
    Problem Signature 06: 2
    Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Once this is sent, I am left hanging, as nothing happens until I click the only to available option of Restart or Shutdown. I have entered the F2 option at startup and found that it says the HDD Password is frozen! I am not sure if this is a seperate issue or is a development of the initial issue?! The comp will start in 'fix' mode but is getting slower with every attempt! PLEASE HELP!... and be gentle as I am a novice when it comes to manipulating BIOS etc!!! - SPIDA :confused: from Perth, Western Australia .... PS: have only owned our laptops for about 6-7 months.... Thank you!

2. spida

spida Thread Starter

Hmmmmm...! I was on the edge of restoring factory settings in safe mode and about to lose a stack of cash in iTunes and the like, when my gut suggested I try the restart one last time and enter through F10 during start up... I did so, clicked enter to 'submit' (whetever that meant?!) and abracadabra snotty-covered-tissues, it restarted by itself as if nothing was ever wrong!! ...almost as if it was playing an April fools joke to make me think I was insane!.... It's still December right?... not April?......
    ;-)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice