1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: acer laptop blue screen etc

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by flasharry, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

hi again guys:D
    My daughter brought me her laptop to look at. It's an Acer Aspire 5313 with an 80gig 2.5 sata hdd.
    I opened it up and there was the dreaded blue screen with cursor. All I could get on screen was bios, the OS wouldn't boot.
    I questioned my daughter, she said the laptop went like that after her husband had been using it, so your guess is as good as mine...lol
    After messing about for a while I decided to format the hdd. I had to put the hdd in an enclosure and format it with my PC.
    I put the hdd back in the laptop and tried to install XP pro with my Genuine Advantage kit. Windows went through the proceedure, until I got a notification that ' Windows can't find my hdd to install the OS, press f3 to exit'. The hdd is in bios, so I can't understand why Windows can't find it.
    I put the hdd back in the enclosure and tried to put the OS on it with my PC with the result that my PC now tries to boot from the partially installed OS......grrrrr...lol ( i couldn't move the installing OS to the 2.5 enclosure).
    The general opinion is that the hdd is knackered. I checked it and found that the 2.5 hdd is healthy. Knowing my luck, I could buy a new one and find that I still have the same problems.
    Sorry to drone on and guys, but I made it as short as possible.
    Any help from you wizz kids would be appreciated.
    Flasharry..

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Did the laptop come with a Recovery Cd?
    Maybe a daft question to ask I know.

There may be a way to Restore to Factory Default Settings.
    Holding down the Alt key and then press the F10 - as the laptop is starting up should take you there.
    Then click on.
    Restore to Factory Default Settings.

3. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

Thankyou blues. my daughter has lost any CD's etc. I believe 'recovery' was installed in a partition on the hdd originally. I tried the F10 many times without success.
    I did successfully install OS once, but there were about 4 Acer aspire drivers missing. I installed the first two (audio and one other) successfully, but when I installed the other two drivers it crashed, I probably installed the wrong drivers, knowing me..lol

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I doubt the hard drive needs to be replaced. The problem is that whatever Windows XP install disk you're using probably doesn't have the SATA controller drivers needed to recognize the hard drive. The easiest solution would be to contact Acer and see if they'll sell you a replacement set of recovery disks.

Otherwise you're looking at a rather complicated process of locating, downloading, and slip-streaming SATA drivers into a generic Windows XP installation.

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

That would be your next best move.

6. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

The acer laptop had windows Vista on originally.
    Please don't think I'm being cheeky Blues and DoublHelix, but how did I successfully install XP on the Sata hdd then??? As I said, I ran XP for about a week until I buggered it up.
    Surely a set of recovery disks will not work on a formatted hdd.
    The problem as I see it, is getting XP installation to recognise the Sata hdd. I assume if there is no OS installed the laptop cannot 'find' and install the hdd.

Flasharry

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't see where you successfully installed Windows XP on it. If you're referring to your attempt to install it while it was connected via a USB enclosure, then you didn't install it with a SATA interface.

The issue is that the drive is SATA an SATA drivers for that controller are not included with your generic XP disk.

8. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

thanx guys. I just installed XP pro AGAIN by changing Sata mode to Ide in bios. All I have to do now is d/l and install the missing Acer drivers, which is where i went wrong last time.

flasharry

9. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I was going to suggest that but you figured it out. When going from windows 7 or vista back to xp and you get a blue screen chances are that in the BIOS it has to be changed from AHCI to either SATA,ATA, or IDE.Now you will know what to do in the future if you face that problem again.

10. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

thankyou Sueohio:)

11. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

OK Sueohio, can you solve this problem???. My mate gave me two laptops, a tiny Zoostorm notebook, and a larger Logiq laptop. Both were dead, no lights, nothing. I got the notebook working by doing the 'static' procedure, but I cannot get the Logiq working at all. It's sitting there grinning at me!!! I metered the power pack, and i'm getting the right voltage out of it, did the static procedure, battery in battery out. I assume all laptops show some lights when the power is plugged in and switched on, with battery in, or out. So I dunno, what do you think??

Flasharry.

12. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

Sorry guys, perhaps I should have started a new thread:(

13. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im going to assume its either a power supply problem of some sort or the motherboard has problems.

14. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

I'm a retired washing machine engineer. This problem was always been fuse, on-off switch, or filter. I'm going to take the laptop apart and meter it out as far as I can. At the moment i'm getting 18volts at the power inlet plug, but nothing anywhere else on the motherboard, or the rest of the circuit.
    As my old dad used to say 'nothing ventured, nothing gained', or, 'if at first you don't succeed, suck an egg' ....LOL

15. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

I fixed it!!!. i had got the positive and negative wrong......derrrrr...lol

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!