Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Acer Netbook Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN adapter install

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  jerimg 
#1 ·
eGreetings All,

I have a 4 year old Acer Netbook Aspire One D250-1341. Running Windows 7 Starter. It is out of warranty.
About 3 months ago it started dropping the wireless internet connection. It has a Broadcom 802.11g network adapter onboard. (No exclamation mark in the Device Manager). It still connects at close range to my router.

I tried some general adjustments by searching the web - but nothing helped.

So I thought I would try adding an Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN card. There is a slot on the bottom of the netbook where it fits. You just take the cover off and slide it in.
Windows found the card and installed the drivers. It shows up in Device Manager with no exclamation. I manually disabled the Broadcom adapter.
But the Intel 5300 won't find my network.
I went to the Intel web site and ran the Driver Update Utility it searched and found the 5300 and installed the current drivers.
Still no luck connecting.

Maybe this setup won't work at all and I should send the Intel 5300 card back to Amazon for a refund?
I am at a loss.
I have tried searching the web and I can't find anyone that has added a a wireless card to the open slot on the bottom of an Acer D250.

Any ideas? I was hoping to get a stronger and more stable wireless connection.

Thank you so much for your time and assistance.
Happy Holidays!
Jeri

See less See more
#2 ·
Jeri, when you added the new card, were there antenna wires there for you to connect? Often laptop manufacturers will run a second set of wires to an open slot. These will connect to the little posts on the wireless card. Also, be sure they are securely fastened on the Broadcom card. That may be the issue with it.

#3 ·
Hi Gr3iz,

Wow! Thank you so much for your speedy reply!

I took the Intel 5300 card out again and studied the card - it does show where there should be 3 antennas. There are 3 tiny gold
jacks, labeled 1, 2 and 3.

But on my Acer Netbook D250, inside the slot, there are no wires to attach to the Intel 5300 card. I took a flashlight and looked all around the edges to see if there where wires I could pull out and attach to the Intel 5300 card. No, nothing.

Does this mean that it won't work?

Thanks!
Jeri

#4 ·
Jeri, will that card fit in place of your Broadcom card? It should have (usually) 2 wires connected. Perhaps one of the posts on the Intel is for a (manufacturing/diagnostic) test point?

#5 ·
Hi,

Thank you for your reply!

To replace the Broadcom card, I would have to take the netbook apart.

I was trying to avoid that.

Is there another type of wireless card I can use? Or maybe a USB wireless adapter?

Is there any that you could suggest.

Again, Thank you so much for your help. I very much appreciate it.
Jeri

#6 ·
A USB adapter would be a good alternative! Go for a name brand like Netgear, Linksys, Dlink, etc. (I don't know specific models to recommend, but you could look at reviews.) Depending on the distance to the router, you might look for one that has an external antenna option, or put it on a short (3', or so) USB extension cable so that you can elevate it.

#8 ·
#9 ·
You're most welcome Jeri! You can mark the thread "Solved" so that others may benefit from it in the future.

#10 ·
eGreetings DustyJay,

Wow! Thanks so much for your help!

I really appreciate it.

You guys are great - Thanks so much!
(I made a donation.)

I think I will leave the thread open a few more days in case anyone has any further comments.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!
Jeri

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.