1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: acer notebook problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ti-gris, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ti-gris

ti-gris Thread Starter

Hello!

Acer Aspire 5536 won't display anything,no sound,no lights,no image,only a black screen.The laptop is powering on and cranking since I hear the fan and the cd rom open and closes.I made some tests by hooking the laptop to an external monitor with no success.Did a power reset with no success and tried almost anything on the net to find a solution to this. You are my last resort before I trash this pc.

Please help! your suggestions would be greatly appreciated:(

Phil

2. SM4SH

SM4SH

if you have already tried connecting an external monitor and that did not work than it is likely your motherboard (probably the graphics chip on the motherboard).

3. ti-gris

ti-gris Thread Starter

Thanks! Maybe I should remove the under cover and see if something melted or came loose. Since the graphic chip is soldered on the motherboard I could try the oven trick but it seems like a temporary solution to me.What do you think?

4. SM4SH

SM4SH

If your only other option becomes the oven trick then I suppose its worth a shot. Depending on how much effort you want to put into it, you could try disordering the chip and replacing it with a new one.

5. ti-gris

ti-gris Thread Starter

Thanks! I can get the entire board cheap since the laptop is 5 year old and running on Vista home edition.Vista will become ubsolete in a few years (no more critical updates from Microsoft).I might as well buy a new one with Windows 8.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tried re-seating the RAM or trying only one stick of RAM at a time? I would do that first.

7. ti-gris

ti-gris Thread Starter

Yes,I switched them around but still nothing. The tech will look at it tomorrow and hopefully find the problem...I will let you know of his diagnostic for future reference. Thanks!

8. ti-gris

ti-gris Thread Starter

Thanks you guys. After waiting I gave up, What do you think switching for Desktop and using 8.1 ?

so I'll mark this one "solved"

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's up to you, would a desktop work for you just as well as a laptop? Do you need the portability of a laptop?

10. ti-gris

ti-gris Thread Starter

thanks Triple6
    I hardly used the laptop since I'm retiired now, so a desktop would suit me fine. Thanks again.
    Phil

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1124995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice